Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:56 PM   #1

I found on the instructions manual of my R-1 atopic about using external flash. It mentions the ACC (accessory) jack but there is no mention on what is it orabout theplug that fits it. As a matter of fact it seems that Sony do not want us to use it or to use an external strobe system.

I would be very happy if I could get some help.

Thanks

kleber
Kleber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2006, 4:16 PM   #2

Accessory terminal location you can find in manuals (left side, upper plug)
Size of all the accessory plugs on flash cables is standard (the same case as headphones)
If you use non-SONY flash, camera's shoe provide only mechanical mount to a flash foot without electrical compatibility. You have to connect this flash via wire.
Another accessory I know you can connect to this terminal (or port if you wish) is wired remote.
Simon G
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:41 PM   #3

s_grins wrote:
Quote:
Size of all the accessory plugs on flash cables is standard (the same case as headphones)
No, it's not. The ACC port is a LANC port and it uses a 2.5mm stereo miniphono plug. Your headphone jack uses a 3.5mm stereo miniphono plug.

Quote:
If you use non-SONY flash, camera's shoe provide only mechanical mount to a flash foot without electrical compatibility. You have to connect this flash via wire.
A non sony non TTL flash can be used without any 'wires' provided it uses a standard hotshoe (a single central contact). So thyristor based AUTO flashes will work.

Non Sony TTL flashes are few and far between, but the sony hotshoe can and does support full TTL capability without the need for additional wires. However some, like the Metz, do also use a cable to the ACC port.

If you need a remote control for the R1, you can use any LANC controller that supports digicams and has the 'photo' button.

This LANC controller works with Sony camcorders AND digicams

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Although, on the R1, only the Power On/Off and Photo buttons work. The camera does not support the other functions.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:19 PM   #4

I believe we are talking about R1 camera, not other one

I use dedicated F32x flash with R1 and, because I'm forgetful person, sometimes I do not tighten flash to a camera. Central pin stays lifted up and cannot provide any kind of connectivity, and nevertheless flash works.
So I think connectivity provided via 4 spring loaded balls and central pin is nothing more than security measure to prevent flash from sliding out and dropping down.

Since Kleber did not ask anything about TTL features, I prefer to keep things simple.

Thank you for reminding that headphones plug is bigger than what is on flash wire (2.5 mm). It is important to know. BTW I did not state that size of plug is the same

BR
s_grins
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:24 AM   #5

The contacts on the hotshoe do two things.
1: Provide communication between the flash and the camera for TTL operation, and
2: for firing the flash

The large central connection is used only with non dedicated flashes to fire the flash. This connector is a simple contact closure (AFAIK) and is not used by the TTL flash units. The four smaller connections are used for communication in TTL operation as well as triggering the flash.

"
Quote:
"

It certainly reads like you are saying it is the same size, but I can see where it could be interpreted as simply saying it is a standard connector - similar to the standard connector used on headphones. Sorry.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:14 PM   #6

Thanks for the information, but I have to clarify that I am using the hotshoe accessory of mySony R1to trigger my external studio strobe system, using just the larger central connection. I designed and build an optically isolated device to protect my camera from external voltage surges. It works fine.

What I do not know is what is the ACC accessory jack, what is the jack sise, (you already answered). how is the connectionwiring since it has three wires and ifit is a connection to an external flash orif it has other functions like triggering the camera shutter and how this works. I do not know how to control the camera remotely.

Thanks for any additional advice,

kleber

Old Jul 14, 2006, 5:15 PM   #7

The ACC port is a LANC serial communications port. It runs, I believe, at 9600 baud.

Remote control of the camera is accomplished by using a LANC controller that works with Sony digital cameras (not all do, as the LANC is mainly used for video camceras). See the B&H link to a LANC controller that will work with the R1, that I posted previously.

As long as ALL you want to is to fire the shutter, the above LANC will do the job. With the exception of the Power On/Off button, the R1 does not support the other functions on this LANC controller.

The LANC/ACC has 3 wires. One is ground, one is serial communications and the third is power.

If you want to control the camera from a computer (ie: fire the shutter), I think I saw a reference to such a program on the web somewhere. But it is just a lanc controller (of a kind) and requires a hardware interface to the R1 ACC port.

Hope that helps. If you want additional info let me know and I will see what I can find.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:52 AM   #8

Thank you amazingthailand,

Your information intrigued me. I wonder why there is no information on this subject in the intructions manual or in the Sony site. Anyway yourknowlage on this subjectis precious for me. I was thinking that I could trigger the strobe system through the ACC port. Now I am thinking on triggering the shutter remotely but it seems that it would need a particular protocol to do that. As a hobby I designhardware and I program Atmel and PIC microcontrolers,maybe I could find a software to do this. I am affraid of burning the camera circuit by connecting it to an external circuit. I do not know what is a LANC.

Thank you for the information, I will acces the link you recommended.

kleber
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:20 PM   #9

Here is a link to a DIY lanc project and it uses a PIC controller. It has links to the Keene Electronics site that designed it. I have the web page on my computer, but now I cannot find the www address to the page. I'll keep looking and post it when I find it. In the meantime this link should get you started:

http://www.rwc.yertiz.com/lanc.htm

Since the lanc supplies power from the camera, be careful, it can be all too easy to fry something.

The lanc controller is actually quite a simple device, but very overpriced for what it is.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:35 PM   #10

Thanks again,

Now I am searching for sites that can clarify the subject.

You gave me the key word: LANC

I will check the Giottos at B&H and maybe I will order one. It is inexpensive and could fit my needs.

kleber