Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:34 AM   #11

i have the imac and g3 power mac running os 9-2-1.sandisk card reader and i do not use the sony software.the reader saves battery power and is easy peasy to use.
aw
alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:04 PM   #12

gotta be honest-I don't know what all that means!
janeywaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 2:26 PM   #13

The G3 Power Mac was an old cpu and 9-2-1 was the old Apple operating system - before OS-X. The Sandisk card reader is an external usb device for reading the memory cards from digital cameras. That's what I have as well and it reads 5 or 6 different types of cards. As well as not draining your camera battery while you download your pictures the reader is handy to take with you when you travel. If your memory cards fill up it's useful to dump the pictures to either a CD/DVD or USB flash card so you can continue to take more pics. The reader in your bag would allow you to go to almost any pc/mac that has a USB port and empty your memory card. I use 1 and 2 Gbyte USB flash cards to dump my pictures to and carry my Sandisk card reader with me whenever I travel.

bruce
BStew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 5:53 PM   #14

Ladies and gentlemen.
I think this flood of relevant and irrelevant information totally confused JaneyWaney.
Let me suggest bringing to conclusion this discussion
Photos from H5 can be transferred to a Janey's Mac either directly by connecting camera to a computer via USB or indirectly via memory card reader. Direct connection requires setting up particular feature (PTP mode transfer) through camera menu and this procedure can be found in manuals. Memory card reader shouldn't cause any problems

If I'm wrong please correct me

BR
s_grins
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:49 PM   #15

thanks grins-For one thing, I travel with several memory cards and a spare battery (with* the camera I have now, the cybershot S75). I connect it via USB to my mac to import the photos. I hope I can use the same routine when I get the new camera. From what you're saying, I'm inferring that* there is an adjustment to be made on the camera itself in order to import this way, and these instructions can be found in the manual which comes with the H5. Am I correct?
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:11 PM   #16

JaneyWaney.
You got it.
Beleive me, it is simple.
I do not have Mac so I can not give you full assurence, but I feel everything will be fine.
Do not forget, you have second option - memory reader.
BTW, I like second option more because I have H1 and know this for sure. Let me tell you why.

All H cameras are powered by 2 AA batteries and to say you frankly, I feel it is not enough for a camera. Imagine, you have connected camera to a computer, turned camera on and began files transfer. At this moment batteries stopped to work, camera shuts down in the middle of the transfer. Such a situation can cause corruption of files and ultimately can kill memoory stick.
That is why I prefer to remove MS from camera, put it in reader and connect reader to a computer. This way is safe proof.
Another thought is that you will have to buy MS Pro Duo since existing MSticks do not fit in H5.
Wish you a good luck
Simon G
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:42 PM   #17

I'm starting to rethink getting the H5.I should probably just go to the Sony store and find out which camera will be the most compatible with me and my computer!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:01 PM   #18

VOID
Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:14 AM   #19

Why a rethink ?

The situation whereby a memory card reader is prefered to direct camera connection for transfer to a computer applies to all cameras and all computers.

You don't have to buy a memory card reader, sure they are cheap and convenient, I use several cameras and memory card pdas and mp3 players.

With one memory card reader that can read sd/xd/ms/msduo/cf/mmc/sm cards I no longer have to worry about finding leads for each device , I just take the card out and put into the reader, it just simplies life when I don't have 6 or 7 leads jammed in a drawer and have to remember which is which..

But if you have fresh batteries then don't worry overmuch about this, use direct connection if you want.

Remember the camera only takes 2 AAs and can take well over 250 shots with that, sohaving a couple ofextrabatteries to ensure you have enough power to transfer the pics though to the computer at the end of the day is no problem.

As for the connection settings, you simply go into the menu, and select USB transfer mode , PTP usually , you only have to do this once then forget about it for ever more.

All of 15secs or less and thats it.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:12 AM   #20

Hi Sintares.
This JaneyWaney is not so naïve and inexperienced as I initially thought.
Let's leave the things as they are and let JaneyWaney to get all information from SONY directly. I do not want to think that this is another Mr. Dark