Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:59 PM   #1

My computer is a brand new iMac 10.4.6. I'm planning to buy the Sony H5 but I just noticed that they don't list my computer's OS as compatible. Could this just be a lag in updating the info on the camera, or could this be true-that it won't work? Does anyone know?*
janeywaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:33 PM   #2

Please follow link below.
You will find H5 manuals on line
Open manuals and check page 83 that describes H5 and Mac relations.
I have not read this page, do it by yourself and make your own decision

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-...s.pl?mdl=DSCH5
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:44 PM   #3

Thanks so much for that link. I t does say there is compatibility with my computer. I'm going to call Sony also to make sure I won't have any problem. Thanks again!
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:20 PM   #4

The Sony software is crap anyway, don't bother to install it, just use a card reader to access your photos, save you a lot of bother in the long run.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:27 PM   #5

Oh, I was concerned with the ability to connect the camera to my mac's USB when I'm importing pictures. I guess I'll be alright, no?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:45 PM   #6

Modern operating systems (XP/OS X) have support for PTP, Picture Transfer Protocol. The H series cameras support PTP mode transfer.

With PTP on both sides of the wired camera-computer link, it's possible for a computer to communicate with and transfer files from the camera, without the installation of additional drivers and anything other than minimal user-intervention the first time a PTP camera is connected to a PTP computer.

So technically no software is needed for a direct USB connection.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:52 PM   #7

Thanks to everyone who replied-I feel confident in buying the H5 now.(Well, as confident as I can feel after reading other threads on it!)
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:07 AM   #8

The only issue with the H5 and the Mac is the USB 2.0 connection. I have an old G4 that only supports USB1.x and I can't be bothered to buy a new USB card since I'm going to replace this system with one of the Intel Macs in the next year. I use a Sandisk card reader to read the DuoPro media card, that solves my problem with USB 2.0. I agree that the Sony software isn't too good. I use iPhoto on the Mac and it handles the H5 great!

Cheers from Ottawa, Canada

p.s. I've only had my H5 for 6 days so am a newbie with it, came from an older Nikon coolpix. This camera seems like it'll be fantastic.
BStew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:14 AM   #9

Thanks Stew, I also use iPhoto, and then I just got photoshop elements (which I can't figure out for the life of me). I'm not sure if I'm using* USB 1 or 2.* Both sockets are marked the same on the back of the mac with some icon.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:09 AM   #10

All of the new Macs have 2.0 connections. I think they dropped the 1.x connections with the G5 PowerPC processor. You certainly would have USB 2.0. I'd be interested in how you make out with Photoshop Elements as I'm also considering it.

Cheers

bruce
BStew is offline   Reply With Quote