Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Sep 30, 2006, 3:24 PM   #21

Hi Dark, yes I did get the Sony Stamina 2500 (blue/orange) and I loved them so much that I ended up getting a second set. Now I have 4. They last forever. As you know, I hate to measure battery capacity by the number of pictures you can get out of them. The reason is because there are many factors that contribute to battery consumption (i.e., flash/no flash, LCD vs. EVF, constant changes in camera settings, etc.). So, all I know is that the Sony batteries last a lot longer than the POWEREX 2500, whcih I thought was pretty darn good. I never bought the 2700 and I believe there ae some brands that offer 2900 now.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 4:38 PM   #22

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dark, yes I did get the Sony Stamina 2500 (blue/orange) and I loved them so much that I ended up getting a second set. Now I have 4. They last forever. As you know, I hate to measure battery capacity by the number of pictures you can get out of them. The reason is because there are many factors that contribute to battery consumption (i.e., flash/no flash, LCD vs. EVF, constant changes in camera settings, etc.). So, all I know is that the Sony batteries last a lot longer than the POWEREX 2500, whcih I thought was pretty darn good. I never bought the 2700 and I believe there ae some brands that offer 2900 now.
Hey Tullio,

You don't like to measure by the number of shots??!! I thought you told me that was one of your passtimes.

Any how, the Sony's lasted longer than the Powerex?? I'll be darn. Would definitely save me the trouble of having to order Powerex 2700 mAh. I assumed the Powerex and the Sanyo batteries held the top two spots. At least according to shootouts done by other websites and what I've heard other forum members say. Not saying I'm doubting you there btw.

I'm about to go on a trip in about a month. So, maybe I'll just go buy a Sony 2500 mAh 4-pack if I don't bother with the Powerex or Sanyo. And there are 2900 mAh batteries now? Gotta look into that one now...

Later T.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:30 PM   #23

Dark, I've been pretyy consistent stating that battery consumption can not be measured simply by the number of shots. Those factors I mentioned previously play a big role on how long the batteries will last. Don't get me wrong, the POWEREX 2500 are excellent batteries and they do hold up the charge. I was surprised to see the Sony performance, however. Now, I do not use the Sony charger that came with the H1 but the MAHA charger I bought with the POWEREX. That's also something you must factor in.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:29 PM   #24

Just received my order of a Powerex 2700 mAh 4-pack today. Ordered them just two days ago from http://www.paulsfinest.com. Who are based in Montreal. They are FAST!! Will likely buy more products from them in the future.

I might buy the new Maha 801 charger later that just came out. Allowing you to charge 8 AA simultaneously. And of course is a "smart charger". Didn't feel like plunking down $90.00 CAD just yet on battery equipment.

Will use the Sony charger to charge them before my trip to HK/China in about two weeks. Will see how long they last after being charged just once. Not being at full-capacity yet.

And, this past weekend, I picked up a Hoya S-HMC UV filter at the Henry's Imaging show here in Toronto. (Henry's is one of the largest camera shops in Toronto next to Vistek)

Oh...Tullio...how long have you had your H1? And roughly how many shots do you think you've taken with yours? Some guy just bought a H1 (and posted here on the Sony forum "H1 blues") probably sometime in September and after roughly 6 weeks his broke down. Ended up buying a new camera.

I'm not too worried about mine. Been happy with the performance so far. Just wondered.

How about you Sintares? How long have you had yours? Shot more than 10k shots?

And Tullio...how is the Pentax DSLR purchase idea going? Have you bought it yet?

Later guys.

Old Oct 19, 2006, 8:21 PM   #25

I've been using 3 different brands of batteries for my Sony H1 -for the past year since I bought my H1.

-I take lot's of photos, photography is a hobby of mine.

I have several sets of Energizer 2500MAH -these are the worst batteries I've possibly ever owned!! -They don't hold a charge. After you charge them fully they begin to lose power immediately. I've literally had these batteries drain within 4 days after a full charge with very minimal photos snapped over that 4 day period.

Second best in my opinion are the Sony's that came w/ our H1's. They hold a charge real well and seem to have the ability to take a lot of photos.

My favorites by far though are the powerex 2700MAH. I bought 4 of these (2 AA sets). They hold a charge and take a phenominal amount of photos. I filled up an entire 1 gig card with 85% photos and 15% video over a several day period on a recent trip to Death Valley. The set of Powerex's were all I needed to use. -They lasted the complete trip. Sadly my Energizers drained w/o ever using them over the course of the time I left and returned from my trip. The Energizers are worthless (in my opinion).

I love the Powerex's so much I purchased some "D", "C", and "AAA" sizes for all of my son's toys and such. -They are pricey (especially the D and C sizes, but over time are a better deal than using disposables in all his battery operated toys).

eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:26 PM   #26

eR1c wrote:
Quote:
I've been using 3 different brands of batteries for my Sony H1 -for the past year since I bought my H1.

-I take lot's of photos, photography is a hobby of mine.

I have several sets of Energizer 2500MAH -these are the worst batteries I've possibly ever owned!! -They don't hold a charge. After you charge them fully they begin to lose power immediately. I've literally had these batteries drain within 4 days after a full charge with very minimal photos snapped over that 4 day period.

Second best in my opinion are the Sony's that came w/ our H1's. They hold a charge real well and seem to have the ability to take a lot of photos.

My favorites by far though are the powerex 2700MAH. I bought 4 of these (2 AA sets). They hold a charge and take a phenominal amount of photos. I filled up an entire 1 gig card with 85% photos and 15% video over a several day period on a recent trip to Death Valley. The set of Powerex's were all I needed to use. -They lasted the complete trip. Sadly my Energizers drained w/o ever using them over the course of the time I left and returned from my trip. The Energizers are worthless (in my opinion).

I love the Powerex's so much I purchased some "D", "C", and "AAA" sizes for all of my son's toys and such. -They are pricey (especially the D and C sizes, but over time are a better deal than using disposables in all his battery operated toys).

Hey Eric,

I've read about the Energizers. That's why I've chosen to stay away from them. Eventhough they are probably the easiest to find sold. At least up here in Toronto.

That and they are expensive (up here). Costing more than a Powerex 2700 mAh 4-pack for I think 2300 mAh Engerizers.

About the Powerex 2700 mAh batteries...are you saying you filled roughly 85% of a 1GB card (or roughly 500+ pics) with pics with one charge? Were the batteries at full capacity? And did you use a Maha charger?

And as for a charger...I'll probably be picking up the new Maha 801D (8 battery, AA or AAA charger) later. As I said. But that's probably when I invest in a DSLR "system" (w/ external flash...usually need 4 AA batteries). Which won't be till next summer at the earliest. No rush for me.

I'll post again after my trip to HK/China and tell you all how many shots I got after charging them only once. Just in case some one is curious.

Old Oct 26, 2006, 7:42 PM   #27

Hi Dark, I bought my H1 early this year (February, I think) and I've taken about 3500-4000 pictures with it. Never had a problem (knock on wood). I still haven't bought the K100d. I missed the boat on the price. I was hoping it would go lower and all of a sudden it went up $40. Now I'm waiting for it to come down again. I'm not in a big hurry, so I can wait!
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:41 PM   #28

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dark, I bought my H1 early this year (February, I think) and I've taken about 3500-4000 pictures with it. Never had a problem (knock on wood). I still haven't bought the K100d. I missed the boat on the price. I was hoping it would go lower and all of a sudden it went up $40. Now I'm waiting for it to come down again. I'm not in a big hurry, so I can wait!
February of this year??!! I'll be darn. Thought I was the only one of two that bought their H1's a year late. The other being this chap that started the thread "H1 blues". His broke down during his recent I think in September. While on vacation. Bought I think a Pentax compact P&S and then got his H1 fixed this month. Or was it late last month? Shrugs...

Any how, with DSLR's, it's true. There really is no hurry. As new models are always around the corner. And if you have your heart set on this one model...it's price is bound to drop...eventually.

3000+ shots? I'm still just under 200. LOL!! But, I'll change that in about a week when I head off to HK & China (Quanzhou and Shanghai...and surrounding towns). Should provide ample shooting opportunities (not that one has to travel to the other side of the world to get good shots of course...heh).

Right now I'm very happy with my H1. Working with out a hitch. Knock on wood. Not that I've used mine that much. But, I do see it's limitations. And am considering a DSLR sometime in 2007. Will it be the newly released Nikon D80? Nikon D200? Or upcoming Canon 40D? Time will tell. But like you...I'm in no hurry at all.

Cheers!
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:49 AM   #29

I'm sure you will have plenty of photo opportunities during your trip. I agree, the H1 has its limitations (but then again, they all have some limitation, don't they?). I wish the H1 had a higher shutter speed. I find 1/1000 not to be fast enough at times. I also find the manual fosus to be very difficult to use. I'd prefer the ring system (like the FZ20) as opposed to the push button. It usually takes forever for me to find the correct focus spot. The FZ20 definitely out performs the H1 in the area. Not only the ring makes it very easy but it also offers a MF assist which basically performs the AF once you pre manual focus. Very clever. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with its overall performance. AF is fairly quick and very accurate, I like the wheel thing at the front, which makes it very easy to change S/A/E values, the menu is easy to navigate, exposure and color saturation is awesome, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, have a great trip. I hope you post some pictures when you come back!

Cheers,

Tullio.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 2:32 PM   #30

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure you will have plenty of photo opportunities during your trip. I agree, the H1 has its limitations (but then again, they all have some limitation, don't they?). I wish the H1 had a higher shutter speed. I find 1/1000 not to be fast enough at times. I also find the manual fosus to be very difficult to use. I'd prefer the ring system (like the FZ20) as opposed to the push button. It usually takes forever for me to find the correct focus spot. The FZ20 definitely out performs the H1 in the area. Not only the ring makes it very easy but it also offers a MF assist which basically performs the AF once you pre manual focus. Very clever. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with its overall performance. AF is fairly quick and very accurate, I like the wheel thing at the front, which makes it very easy to change S/A/E values, the menu is easy to navigate, exposure and color saturation is awesome, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, have a great trip. I hope you post some pictures when you come back!

Cheers,

Tullio.

Hiya Tullio,

Thanks. I'm sure shooting in HK, Shanghai and Quanzhou will be a blast!! I just hope I get enough sunshine and not get stuck with dark gloomy days. I know the temp over there right now is hovering between 20-30C. Which sounds terrific to me. Just light clothing required! WooHOO!!

As for our H1 and it's limitations...I would have liked to have seen RAW support, a hot shoe (even if the builti-in flash is a powerful one),...shutter speed? I think 1/2000 is fine for now for what I've shot (e.g. belly dancing, Brazilian martial arts...etc.). Even then, I used mostly 1/400...which was fast enough to freeze the movements.

More ISO speed....as long as Sony works on a better noise reduction setup. Even the new Sony DSLR isn't the greatest there. When you start using faster ISO speeds. Just like the Nikon's. Could it be that they are using the same chips? Hmmm... (they are).

Any how, as I've said, for the most part I've been very happy with the H1. Good first digital camera IMHO. Can't go wrong. And I do like the fact that it does have a 12x optical zoom.I am now gladI decided to take your advice and pick-up the H1.

Take care.