Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 30, 2006, 1:23 AM   #51

Although I'm a big fan of the H1, I totally agree with you, Jack. I also have an FZ20 and the flash is much, much faster. I can practically shoot one picture after another w very little delay. My guess is that the problem is with the AA batteries and the fact that the H1 has a very powerful flash. They get drained each time the flash fires and take a long time to recharge. You'll also notice that they will loose charge much faster so you have to alway carry a couple of spare sets if you know you'll be using flash a lot.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 2:06 AM   #52

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but, have owned my H1 for almost 2 years. Love it.

I have a polarizer filter which works great to help the blue sky bit, and to protect the lens.

my biggest 'problem' is focus...more me, than, it.

I have a hard time telling if the thing I am shooting is in focus...shooting a lot of macro flowers, bugs, etc.

I shoot, on average 500 shots per weekend...most of which are macros.

The camera is doing its thing right, just have a hard time with both making sure the focal point is what it is looking at, and my hands shake a lot...I know, tripod, tripod....

I also have a 717, and find the movable lens helps with those two things.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:01 AM   #53

Hi lisalonewolf, you should not haveproblems focusing in macro mode for the H1 does a great job macro focusing. First, I assume you are setting the camera to "macro" mode (right key on the four-way control at the back). That will allow the camera to get real close to the subject and still focus on it. Second, make sure you find some contrast line on you subject where the camera can focus on. If the subject is one smooth surface of the same color, the camera will have a hard time focusing (not just the H1 but any camera). Third, I usually have my H1 set to spot focus (the smallest bracketthat appears at the center of theEVF/LCD. You get this setting by pressing the focus button (left button at the top right behind the shutter button). This will increase the accuracy. It's specially good for bird shots when the bird is sitting between foliage and branches so you get the bird on focus and not the surrounding objectssuch asbranches. Now, once you half press the shutter release button, the camera tries to focus on the subject that is in the middle of the bracket. When focus is accomplished, the bracket turns green. If it does not turn green, the subject is most likely not on focus. In this case, point the bracket to a different area of the subject and try to refocus. Make sure you are not too close beyond the focal distance for macro shooting. Hope this helps.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote