Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:33 PM   #1

Can someone explain to a newbie the difference in effects in wide angle lenses? I see lense .45, .50, .65 and .70 Is the lower # (.45) a wider view?

Also i see a lot of hype about the raynox. I saw the site but see no prices.

Thanks Phil
sposim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:41 PM   #2

Yes 0.45 is widest.

Multiply that by the value for the lens at wide angle to get the new value.

Eg Sony H series, is 36-432mm, so with a 0.45 wconit becomes a 16mm equivalent.

I don't think Raynox sell direct, so you will need to check a local store or online seller for the best price.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:59 AM   #3

This may sound dumb but i'll admit my ignorance in photography. Lets ay you have a camera with a 58mm tube and add on lenses (telephoto and wide angle) that are say 67mm and 82mm and you want to get filter kits. Am I correct in assuming that the filters go on at the very end of the add on lenses? So theoretically you would need to get 3 different filter kits (58mm, 67mm, and 82mm)? Or can the filter go on the 58mm end then the add on lenses?

As you can see I have much to learn but need to start learning. Thanks for the forums and internet and the people that help !!!!

Thank you
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:04 AM   #4

Forgot another question. Do you find the .45 wide angle has too much distortion for average use? Like for group photos.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:54 PM   #5

Depends on the filter, not all have a thread on the "face" for another filter/addon to be stacked to it.

Also by 67mm and 82mm I assume you mean the end diameter of the tcon or wcon ? Well they also don't always have a thread for mounting a filter (and the wider the diameter the more expensive the filter ), so if you wanted to use one if the filter is threaded at both sides you could mount the filter on the camera then mount the addon lens.

I would try and use as few filters as possible, each adds a layer of glass that can affect the final image, eg many people use a Uv filter all the time to protect the actual camera lens from scratches, so in that case they would be wise buying a really expensive multicoated quality filter as opposed to the cheap and crap filters you can buy for $10 on ebay.

Of course stack more filters then you will run the risk of vignetting ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignetting), you will always get vignetting with tcons until you zoom out a little , but stack a few filters and normal shots at wide angle will see a darkening of the corners .

Again more expensive filters tend to be thinner to help reduce this and if your camera needs an extension tube to mount addons and filters then you can sometimes buy third party tubes that are a little shorter than the branded tube to help reduce any potential vignetting. An example of this would be the Pemaraal tube used to replace the supplied Sony tube for the H series cameras.

Color and special effect filters can be added in software, so the usual filters you see are ND (neutral density) used when the light is too bright or you want to force a slow shutter speed, polarisers useful as a ND (stops down the light) or useful when there is light glare off water and glass, and the general UV/Haze filters most often seen as permanent additions to protect the lens from dust or scratches, though this is frowned on by some who say the extension tube and a lens hood are all that is needed except on a windy/rainy day on a beach or in a desert.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote