Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 3, 2006, 7:17 PM   #1

I'm a newcomer to photography and currently have a Nikon Coolpix 7600 that I received as a Christmas gift. I am looking to upgrade to a prosumer camera and have extensively researched the upper bridge-cam models of all of the major manufacturers. I have settled on the R1 due to the very high-quality optics and the large sensor. I was a bit disappointed see that the camera hasonly5X telephoto capability (120mm @ 35mm equivalent), but see that SONY offers a 0.45 Wide Angle conversion lense, a Macro lense, and a 1.7X Telephoto diopter lense.

If my math is correct, the effective telephoto value for the camera and the add-on lense would be the native 5X of the camera multiplied by the 1.7X of the add-on lense to yield a total combined zoom capability of 8.5X (204mm @ 35mm equvalent) for the camera and lense combination. The wide-angle adapter lense will yield 19.2 mm @ 35 mm equivalence versus the cameras native 24mm @ 35 mm equivalence. I am pretty confident that these lenses will allow me to take most any zoomor wide angle picture I want and I can edit the pics later in Photoshop, if needed.

The question is, have any of you purchased the (very expensive) Sony add-on lenses? If so, how do you like them; do they perform well? I'm also considering lenses from other manufacturers such as Raynox and Merkury. Are theses any good? I don't mind paying the premium for the Sony add-on lenses if their quality is on par with the main lense of the camera. If the aftermarket lense manufacturers offer very near or identical quality, maybe I should consider those as well. Thanks for helping out an ignorant newcomer. I can hardly wait to get going! BBJ
Big Bad John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:46 AM   #2

The consensus in the various forums is the R1 lens is of such high quality that the only recommended addontcon or wcon for it are the Sony tcon and wcon.

Do note these lens need the addon adapter from Sony, something like $60 I think, though I saw one on ebay for <$20 the other week.

Closeup filters and other filters can be either Sony or other high quality multicoated offering from Hoya etc .
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:19 AM   #3

I could be wrong, but I think the wide adapter can only be used with the camera lens at 24mm, and the tele adapter can only be used with the camera lens at 120mm. In other words, these lenses are NOT zoom through.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:17 AM   #4

Umm, never heard that before.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:40 PM   #5

From the Ken Rockwell review of the R1

http://www.kenrockwell.com/sony/dsc-r1.htm

About 3/4 of the way down:

Quote:
The1.7x tele converter only works at the longest zoom setting, so you have to pull off the converter to zoom back out. It gives you the equivalent of a 200 mm lens on a 35 mm film camera. This is equivalent to a 135mm lens used on most true DSLRs. If you zoom out with the tele conversion lens you just get a circular image surrounded by black. I'm unsure what happens if you zoom through the wide converter. That's why I hand it to Sony to go ahead and design something as special interest as these.

To use either lens you also need a prosthetic VAD-RA adaptor which attaches to the bottom of the camera and provides a sturdy enough framework to hold either huge conversion lens.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote