Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 7, 2006, 12:59 PM   #1

Before i start about the actual problem, first this:

My previous camera was a Canon S1 IS. Awesome machine, i've made a lot of nice pics with it, good for manual settings also. But the reason why i bought that cam was to have it with me all the time. Recently i sold it, to buy me a new one, right now.

So, the main reason for me: a compact camera (which i can have with me at parties, festivals, etc.) with good picture quality (normal light, night, ...) and manual settings.

So, the search started. Because i like the Sony design a lot, i found 2 cameras i was interested in: dsc-n1 & dsc-t30. I started to read a lot of reviews, most of them talked about superiority of the n1 in low light conditions (something i really need). Picture quality is more or less the same, but the battery on the T30 (400 shots) is a lot better than the N1 (300). Few days ago, i went to the local Sony shop to feel both cameras in my hands. I have to say, i love the feeling of the N1 (think the round shapes), the T30 is a bit of a squeezed box, to much corners (don't know how to explain else :?) and i also don't like the zoom button on the T30. But that are only the physics. Is shot some pics with both the cams, both very quick, sharp and colorful (as far as i could see on the lcd). Now, the main reason why i'm writing this is that i'm not sure about the touchscreen. It didn't respond 2-3 times, but maybe thats because i'm not used to it. So the point is: is it a go or not (the n1).

Positive points i found for the T30 is it's battery life and size (bit thinner).

Besides al that:some questions to people who are using one of the cameras:

- Is the T30 not that good in low light ? Or is it just talking? And is the N1 that much better ?

- Difference in battery life between the two cameras? Is it big ?

- Zooming during filming: some said that it is possible with the T30, but not with the N1, anyone who can help me ?

- Is the touchscreen interface on the N1 positive or negative? I found it a bit strange, but i think i would get used to it.
6sic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:44 AM   #2

I've never liked any of the "T" series cameras simply because of the darker f3.5 lens and the flash being too close to the lens causing alot of red-eye and unwanted reflections. The lens on the N1 starts out at f2.8 and is much better in low light, however when using the zoom, in full zoom the aperture on the N1 is f5.4 and it's f4.3 on the T30 which gives the T30 the brightness advantage. I've had the N1 since January and I can honestly say that it has been great and I've never had any kind of trouble with the touchscreen andafter getting the hang of it I'm able to navigate around the menu very quickly. All the cool paint and album features are fun to have too.The battery life on the N1 isexcellent and I've never needed to use a reserve battery for a day of pictures. It is true that you can't zoom in movie mode with the N1 and you can with the T30, but I have a DCR-DVD405 video camera I use for movies so this really makes no difference to me.Just my opinion...:G

Here's an N1 sample using the stamp feature:lol::
Attached Images

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:34 AM   #3

mmm, thanks for the info.
So the N1 has limited manual settings, the T30 too ? That's why i really need to know. If the T30 hasn't them, i will go out and buy myself a N1 tomorrow :G
6sic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 7:18 AM   #4

The N1 has limited manual settings with 3 aperture choices and up to 30 second shutter speed, the T30 has no manual settings and only up to 2 second shutter speed in night scene mode.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 1:40 AM   #5

I am with you CSN, in that I don't like the T series cameras either... butdarncool how the T30 can zoom during movie mode. i guess it's the same for the T50? why can't they just make this (along with 2s timers) standard on all sony cameras?

as for the aperture settings, i assume this is the exact same for the N2? so you can disregard the same question I asked in the other thread.
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote