Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:05 PM   #1

Hi,

First time poster here... I just bought the Sony H5. I've used dslr's, and I'm used to using balanced and fill flash. I took a picture outside today, with 'forced flash, low iso", he came out with good skintones etc, but the background was overexposed. I'd like to use fill flash outside, so I can shoot people and not overexpose the background, (balanced flash with my nikon flash).

It says that this camera supports it, yet I only see red eye reduction in the menus, and on the flash button, I see slow synch, flash off, flash auto, and flash on. When I tried flash auto, it didn't use the flash, so this isn't right, flash off, and slow synch are incorrect, and my picture using flash on, yielded the result I mentioned above.

Anyone with ideas, suggestions, answers, would be MOST welcome.

Thank you very much....

Craig

SFGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:46 PM   #2

Hi. Are you still having this problem? With my H5, i've been able to do fill flash. I doesn't seem to be an explicit and easy to use setting. I just force flash on and be careful where I expose from (if using auto exposure). I did get that too bright effect at first, but I haven't in a while. Reply if you're still having problems.
bioblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 3:04 AM   #3

SFGREG wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

First time poster here... I just bought the Sony H5. I've used dslr's, and I'm used to using balanced and fill flash. I took a picture outside today, with 'forced flash, low iso", he came out with good skintones etc, but the background was overexposed. I'd like to use fill flash outside, so I can shoot people and not overexpose the background, (balanced flash with my nikon flash).

It says that this camera supports it, yet I only see red eye reduction in the menus, and on the flash button, I see slow synch, flash off, flash auto, and flash on. When I tried flash auto, it didn't use the flash, so this isn't right, flash off, and slow synch are incorrect, and my picture using flash on, yielded the result I mentioned above.

Anyone with ideas, suggestions, answers, would be MOST welcome.

Thank you very much....

Craig

Hello!
I Have a T9 and I think that the flash fill-in is simply the forced, in fact other options are auto, off, forced, and sl. The only other option is WB with flash....
For oversexposed problem you must use the spot calibration

justaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:16 AM   #4

With the flash turned on, choose menu, go to flash setting and choose a + or - EV value to fit your needs (default is 0EV). You will want to experiment with various lighting situations to find the right level for your needs.

Have fun.

Glenn
gsrunyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:26 PM   #5

yes,I makethis settingalso, but if thesubject is backlit orin strong contrast situation, if you onlyadjust with EV you increase or reduce the expositureinallphoto, I need to take exposure with spot regualation

Chris
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:05 PM   #6

Hi,

The flash seems the hardest aspect of the camera. It's bothersome at best to constantly have to tweak -2/3, +1/3 etc. There is no exif program (and I've checked through a lot!) that lists what you have used for your flash setting. I've played with a few indoors and the default 0 is much too strong. (not sure about outside). I much prefer the dslr, and using balanced fill, or regular i-ttl flash. Easy and it works.

Also, recycle time (admit I have 2300-2500 batteries) is much too long. Obviously, the camera and flash are using 2 AA batteries, versus the flash on a nikon sb-800 using 5 of its own , but if you want to shoot a subject where you need to shoot several pictures in a relatively timely way, the flash doesn't cut it.

I really like the camera, the portability, using a 35-430 (appx) lens without having to change lenses, etc, but for flash photos, nope, it doesn't cut it. However, its still a fun, great camera.

SFGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:32 PM   #7

maybe I didn't reply your post because I tell you the setting that I use with my T9 (a toy), excuse me...

Howewer it's interesting but unfortunately I don't undertstand all (my english....) (...)

SYS

Chris