Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Sports & Action Photos (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sports-action-photos-75/)
-   -   Danve Photos whats Wrong (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sports-action-photos-75/danve-photos-whats-wrong-111988/)

tdgm1 Jan 17, 2007 12:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
3 Photos What are your comments.

1st Phot 1/400 F4 ISO 800 Process noise removal and cropped for size 55mm on 24-105 F4 L series zoom

tdgm1 Jan 17, 2007 12:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
2nd photo same settings but at 50 mm

tdgm1 Jan 17, 2007 12:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
3rd photo 1/400 f4 iso 800 reszized and noise removed 105mm on same above lens

tdgm1 Jan 17, 2007 12:44 AM

Big questions is on DOF subjects about 10 feet from me and it seems background which is about 10 feet behind them is in semi focus. My question is why??? Please make some comments These are dance photos and might not be action filled but working on technical skills to improve myself. Thanks

:|:?:cool:

StevenC Jan 17, 2007 5:23 AM

Subjects ten feet from you, but less than ten feet from the background...That = Poor DOF.

JohnG Jan 17, 2007 9:30 AM

Well, 10' isn't that far and while DOF for 50mm f4 is only 1.8 feet (1 foot behind subject) that doesn't mean that everthing from 2 feet on is completely blurred. You're not going to get blurred backgrounds indoors doing full-body shooting.

Now, heres my question - looks like the last shot has red-eye. Were you using flash on all these? If so, why ISO 800? In either case you need to get rid of the red-eye. Were you using an onboard flash or external? If external, you should bounce the flash.

Also, on the first shot your horizon is off so straitening it will improve the photo.

spy Jan 17, 2007 1:54 PM

The backgroud would blur up a lot more if you were doing head shots and either zoomed in to the head or moved yourself closer for a head shot but as John mentioned DOF shooting full body shots indoors and as Steven C said with very little distance behind the subject equals poor DOF.

If you were able to move the subjects outside you would find the backgroundDOF more to your liking providing there isn't a fence or a house 10 feet behind them.

tdgm1 Jan 17, 2007 3:07 PM

Thanks for the comments still an inexperienced in processing so learnigntechnique for transfroming a picture ie horizon. Was using a flash and there is red eye in the last photo which I did not remove. Will bounce flash next time. Possibile going to get a faster lens (85mm F 1.8 for indoor dance photos. hat are your suggestions and or comments. Thanks for the comments on the DOF

bill.guenthner Jan 17, 2007 7:57 PM

A few of observations;
Photo #1 gives me a little vertigo because the table and floor are quite a bit off horizontal.
In #2 the man's face is obscured by his partners arm. Maybe a fraction of a second earlier or later would bring his face in view.
I'm not bothered by the people in the background being pretty much in focus. As observers of the dance they are a part of the action and put the scene in context. I'm not that excited by bokeh outside of portraits, but that's just me, some folks can't get enough of it.
The exposure looks good, maybe a little dark in #3. All in all, not a bad effort.

tdgm1 Jan 18, 2007 12:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Bill and every one else. Have tried to adjust horizon in photo #1 and attached does that help?