Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Sports & Action Photos (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sports-action-photos-75/)
-   -   Sprint Relay (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sports-action-photos-75/sprint-relay-76217/)

[email protected] Dec 29, 2005 7:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Canon 20D, ISO3200, 1/250th, F4, Tamron 28-75 lens at 59mm

Africa Dec 30, 2005 12:57 AM

Under the circumstance its a nice shot. Good expressions make the photo BUT

I don't believe it was at shot at 59mm.

Africa

Dont' you just love that Tamron lens. It's sooo good that Konica/Minolta has Tamrom make it with their name plate on it.

frenchy Dec 30, 2005 2:09 AM

Africa

The exif data seems to suggest otherwise. Definitely at 59mm.

Terry

Nice capture of the determined faces.

Cheers, Neil

GeorgeNC Dec 30, 2005 6:16 AM

Great capture of action and emotion.

[email protected] Dec 30, 2005 10:06 AM

Yes, the Tamron, considered it's a $300+ lens, does a pretty nice job.

It'sa pretty useful lens for indoor track, because I can do the up close side of the track shots, while zoom in to capture high jumpers, sprinters, etc. that I usually can't get than close to.

I thought people would comment on the graininess, but given it's ISO3200 and I didn't apply any noise reduction, it's still a good result from the Canon 20D.

Two of the prime reasons I laid out the cash for the 20D was it's responsiveness and delivering at high ISO.

In terms of responsiveness, sometimes I raise my camera at the last possible second and blast away, and get good shots that I probably didn't even deserve to get!

-- Terry

[email protected] Dec 30, 2005 10:06 AM

Yes, the Tamron, considered it's a $300+ lens, does a pretty nice job.

It'sa pretty useful lens for indoor track, because I can do the up close side of the track shots, while zoom in to capture high jumpers, sprinters, etc. that I usually can't get than close to.

I thought people would comment on the graininess, but given it's ISO3200 and I didn't apply any noise reduction, it's still a good result from the Canon 20D.

Two of the prime reasons I laid out the cash for the 20D was it's responsiveness and delivering at high ISO.

In terms of responsiveness, sometimes I raise my camera at the last possible second and blast away, and get good shots that I probably didn't even deserve to get!

-- Terry

klfatcj Dec 30, 2005 1:44 PM

I really like the different expressions. The guy on the left looks like he's cruising (did he pass the guy out front?), while the leader seems to be outrunning his body. I think the grain helps this shot - it makes it look a bit more raw (not RAW).

Kevin

[email protected] Dec 30, 2005 4:38 PM

Actually I shot the photo using RAW format.

I think the guy on the left is horsing it because he's afraid he might get passed by the guy on the right.

thatsanicepicture2 Dec 30, 2005 8:00 PM

Terry!

The lead runner makes this a great picture but the other runners make it a story.

dale

PS: Grainy... Yeah... But anybody who's shot indoors knows, take the best shot
you can get and be happy with it. I think you did a great job.

davidreeves Dec 30, 2005 9:58 PM

Im jealous. You got all of their limbs in the shot .....

Nice shot, Terry

If the graininess bothered one bad enough there is software to reduce it. Im impressed that the shot looks as good as it does given that it is shot at ISO 3200

Africa Jan 1, 2006 3:24 PM

I still think it was 60mm.:-)

thatsanicepicture2 Jan 1, 2006 8:58 PM

davidreeves wrote:
Quote:

Im jealous. You got all of their limbs in the shot .....

Nice shot, Terry

If the graininess bothered one bad enough there is software to reduce it. Im impressed that the shot looks as good as it does given that it is shot at ISO 3200
And heads!

dale

[email protected] Jan 1, 2006 9:30 PM

The shot is about a 60 percent crop of the original.

I try to shoot wide and safe, so I got something to crop after.

This shot will probably be cropped yet again by the newspaper to fit into layout.

-- Terry