Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 30, 2007, 8:37 PM   #1

I just got my Sigma 100-300mm f/4. I will be shootinga football game Friday night. Any suggestions on what settings to put my Canon 30D on?? :?
Redop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2007, 8:44 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Aperture priority f4 and set an ISO to give you 1/640+

Centre focus point AF Continuous and I would use customer function 4 to option 3 so that the focus is on the * thumb button (not essential but most sports shooters use this rather than the half press for focus, you will find it a lot easier IMHO).

Just read your post againand you sayFriday night so if you are under the lights go for ISO 3200 and hope as f4 is not usually bright enough and even f2.8 is often difficult.

I was looking for the thread that JohnG did for Football but can only find the Soccer one (what I would call football anyway), however it does give a good idea of what to look at to get the best results http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=82

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 7:39 AM   #3

Redop13 wrote:
Quote:
Any suggestions on what settings to put my Canon 30D on?? :?
First - as indicated in your other thread and as Mark reiterated, f4 isn't goingt to be good enough once it gets dark - so plan on getting your shots in the first half of the game.

I prefer manual exposure - although you have to be careful, there are usually 2 to 3 different light levels on the field (midfield being brightest with a little less from 20-35 and the red zone being dimest unless they have corner lights installed).

Expose for faces not uniforms - it's faces that make a good shot. That is usually about 1/3-2/3 positive EC over what the camera will meter at.

Wide open at f4. Realistically 1/400 is the target shutter speed. 1/640 would be great but you may only get that in the first quarter.

Use center focus point only, AI-Servo focusing.

That's about it for settings. As I stated in your other thread about football you need to stay within the capability of the lens - which means nothing further than 40 yards and keep the action filling the frame. DO NOT FRAME LOOSELY - especially at higher ISOs the resulting shots will be poor.

Good luck and have fun!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 8:04 AM   #4

Thanks for the info guys.

I have a 18-50mm f2.8 that I was thinking about changing over to once it got later in the game. I know its not long range but maybe I will be able to get some shots with it.

Hopefully, I will be able to figure out how to get some decent shots. Practice, practice, practice. :-)

I will post some for your input.

Old Aug 31, 2007, 8:36 AM   #5
Super Moderator

To be honest you will struggle with the 18-50 purely due to range, I would say you would have more fun and get some interesting shots going for something like1/20th and getting some extreme motion blur..... you won't nail many but some should come out in a way you never imagined.

Oh my 1/640th was for daylight so once the lights come into play get what you can :-)
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 5:41 PM   #6

I agree with the others, get all your action shots early.

Once you have trouble getting anything faster than 1/500sec, drop down to around 1/300 or whatever the best shutter speed you can get, and start taking pics of instances when the players are stationary.

For example, the moment when the QB is calling out the signals at the line...everyone is mostly stationary...but it can still be a captivating moment. You can get this shot at night even at 1/250sec. ANother good shot is the Coach talking to the QB during a timeout.
RadioControlGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 5:28 PM   #7

Ok guys here the results. Some blurry ones, but not as bad as my first go around. I am unsure why on some of them they look grainy in the background. :?

ISO too high?? Of course lighting was an issue. :roll:

Equipment: Canon 30D with Sigma 100-300mm f4. I never switched to the shortel f2.8 I had.
Attached Images

Old Sep 1, 2007, 5:29 PM   #8

Attached Images

Old Sep 1, 2007, 5:29 PM   #9

Attached Images

Old Sep 1, 2007, 5:31 PM   #10

Attached Images