Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 16, 2007, 5:49 AM   #1

Hi all, these are a few from this weekends match, the keep rate was up a fairbit 40/50%this time:-), but i feel i'm using too much usm:? does anyone have a formula for the settings and if so can it be applied via a "batch" for them all? (took me ages going through them and applying p&p LOL. all advice most welcome. Kind regards Graham

bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2007, 5:18 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Looks like you had a good match to shoot with two teams really getting into it.

What lens are you shooting with on the D100?

You say you are having to use too much USM, this is probably down to the slow shutter speeds you are getting, the lowest is only 1/320th which is not fast enough, you would really want a minimum of 1/640 if possible and I don't like to go below 1/800 or 1/1000th so boost that ISO to bring the shutter speed up. It could also be that the focus is slightly off, are you allowing the camera to track the subject before shooting so that the AF can get a lock (assuming you are using continuous focus - if not change to this). Also I personally use the centre point focus (or one of the off centre ones sometimes for different framing) as this ensures the camera is not confused as to which player it should focus on.

You've captured some great air born action here which is something I need to practise so with the faster shutter and ensuring you have a good focus will look wonderful :-)

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 4:28 PM   #3

Thanks for your advice Mark, I was shooting with the 70-200 2.8 with a 1.4 tc most of the time, as you said ISO was low 250ish i think, should have been up at 400 at least i suppose. Just thought i'd have enough to do p&p without any noise reduction:-).

It's not that i'm having to use too much usm rather that upon opening the usm the automatically chosensettingsseem toohigh and i am not sure what happy medium alterationshould be made, ie threshold etc ( maybe my monitor, but working on them in photoshop i think i've got it right but once uploaded to photobucket the size reduction seems to increse it:sad. Graham
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:26 PM   #4
Super Moderator

That works. It depends on what you are doing with the shots, if you are not printing them then I don't worry about noise reduction for web until about ISO 800 as it is not noticeable.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"As for the USM I use between 0.5 and 1.5- 80 to 120 and then always 0. My standard is 1 - 100 - 0

Hope that helps.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote