Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:46 PM   #1

Here are some pics during last nights WPC in Manila.

Hope you guys like it.

Ronnie "The Volcano: Alcano - reigning 2006 WPC champion

Francisco "Django" Bustamante

Efren "The Magician" Reyes

Kawabata of Japan

The TV table... Araneta Colesium in Quezon City, Philippines

Daryl Peach of UK

jmdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:14 PM   #2

Very cool... I shoot pool too, in a little differect sense than you have done so here.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:31 PM   #3

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Very cool... I shoot pool too, in a little differect sense than you have done so here.
Thanks sir...
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:27 AM   #4

great idea. I like the first shot a lot. Two suggestions: Firstis the faces are very shadowed (because of the downward facing) so you need to brighten your exposures by a stop or so and 2) watch your levels - several of these are off a bit but that's easily corrected.

Thanks for sharing
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:42 AM   #5

Just curious as to why you were shooting at f8... Billiards pictures look especially good with a razor thin DOF...

Nick
Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:56 AM   #6

Thanks guys for the comments and suggestions. I used the 55-200mm VR nikon lenses on manual.

I'm just new in photography, got my first SLR D40x 2 weeks ago.

I will try to follow your suggestions. I had no formal lesson on photgraphy so your suggestions are great help.

By the way, what is DOF?

Thanks again.

Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:59 AM   #7

DOF stands for depth-of-field. In a nutshell it refers to how much in front of and behind your point-of-focus is actually in focus. When people talk about 'shallow DOF' it refers to having your subject in focus but everything in front or behind out of focus. Taken to the extreme, your background gets completely blurred. As well your forground can too. The affect is that all attention is drawn to your subject only.

For example, in this photo, because the DOF is shallow objects in front of and behind my focus point are out of focus:

It would be difficult to get shallow DOF with the lens you're currently using but assuming for the sake of argument you could - you could do different things with a picture by making the focus point the eyes (leaving the balls out of focus) OR the cue tip on the draw back or the ball etc.

DOF is controlled by several factors - the sensor size of the camera (which you have no control over for a given camera), the focal length of the lens, the aperture of the lens and your distance to your subject.

Increase the focal length, open up the aperture (from f8 to 5.6 in your lens or further for other lenses) and move closer to a subject and DOF shrinks.

Also, distance between your subject and the background adds to the affect - like in my shot above - if focus extends back for say 2 feet behind my subject the background looks blurred because those trees are 300 feet away. If they were 10 feet behind the player they wouldn't look so blurred. The DOF is still the same but the visual affect is different.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 1:51 PM   #8

Great example John!
Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:45 PM   #9

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
DOF stands for depth-of-field. In a nutshell it refers to how much in front of and behind your point-of-focus is actually in focus. When people talk about 'shallow DOF' it refers to having your subject in focus but everything in front or behind out of focus. Taken to the extreme, your background gets completely blurred. As well your forground can too. The affect is that all attention is drawn to your subject only.

For example, in this photo, because the DOF is shallow objects in front of and behind my focus point are out of focus:

It would be difficult to get shallow DOF with the lens you're currently using but assuming for the sake of argument you could - you could do different things with a picture by making the focus point the eyes (leaving the balls out of focus) OR the cue tip on the draw back or the ball etc.

DOF is controlled by several factors - the sensor size of the camera (which you have no control over for a given camera), the focal length of the lens, the aperture of the lens and your distance to your subject.

Increase the focal length, open up the aperture (from f8 to 5.6 in your lens or further for other lenses) and move closer to a subject and DOF shrinks.

Also, distance between your subject and the background adds to the affect - like in my shot above - if focus extends back for say 2 feet behind my subject the background looks blurred because those trees are 300 feet away. If they were 10 feet behind the player they wouldn't look so blurred. The DOF is still the same but the visual affect is different.
Thanks John for the tip. My photographer friend told me to get a 80-200 f2.8 lens. I did order it already and expect to have it this weekend.

Will this lens give the DOF that is needed?

This forum is very informative. Keep it up guys. Thanks again.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:19 PM   #10

jmdesign wrote:
Quote:
Thanks John for the tip. My photographer friend told me to get a 80-200 f2.8 lens. I did order it already and expect to have it this weekend.

Will this lens give the DOF that is needed?

This forum is very informative. Keep it up guys. Thanks again.
I'm not John, but yes. The80-200/2.8 will give you a much smaller DOF, meaning less will be in focus in front of and behind the focal point. It makes for a much more pleasing picture, IMHO. I especially like a small DOF in pool pictures because there can sometimes be a lot on the table taking away from your subject.

Also, shooting at f2.8 vs f8 will make it possible to use much faster shutter speeds, thus reducing the likeliness of camera shake or movement in the pictures. Or you could use the wider aperture values to lower the ISO and take advantage of less noise in your pictures.

Nick