Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 11, 2007, 1:52 PM   #1

Football season came to a close for me Friday night with our team's loss in the state playoffs. The playoff game was in a stadium that presented some new challenges when it comes to lighting. At points, the lights were among the best I had seen all season.

On the ends of the field, though, not the case...although I was able to get a decent shot of the tailback doing a back flop into the end zone.

Earlier, I remember a discussion about lights that "recycled," creating problems with white balancing. I had a severe example of this. I had custom white balanced at the beginning of the game using a white envelope as a target. However, about one-third of my shots had this tint.

Short of shooting in raw, any suggestions on how to handle this sort of "wandering white balance?" Would I be better off just setting the camera on Avrage White Balance, and let it handle it best as it can?

All shots were taken with a Pentax K10D with a MF 135mm f2.5 Takumar lens. ISO was 1600 shooting at 1/400 manual exposure mode.

Just a note of thanks to forum members for the constructive criticism I've received this season. I feel like the shots I've gotten have definitely been improved by my implementing many of the suggestions I've received. I'm hoping to be able to get a 70-200 f2.8 AF lens by the time soccer season hits in the spring. Meanwhile, I've tried to improve as much as I can within the limits of my technology. I was pleased in this week's game to be able finally time a couple of pass catches, an area that had frustrated me.

This one's a heavy crop and it's very dark because it was from the other side of the field, but I liked the timing.

Finally, I liked this one because I was able to catch both the pocket and the quarterback's eyes

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2007, 4:15 PM   #2

Nice pictures, yours is like mine, extra noise, wish I had a good program to clean them up. you did a great job on capturing the action.

The last game I shot I set my white balance on auto. my 2 cents.

Jobeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 4:55 PM   #3

Pretty good considering MF... Definately need to check out some noise reduction software. Google "Noiseware" I use the profesional version of the plug-in, but the FREE community editiion does the trick too. Check it out.

Canon 20d, 200mm, 1/250", f2.8, ISO1600 (Noiseware Default Portrait Settings)
No Complaints from me for this software...
Attached Images

inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:12 PM   #4

Hope you don't mind... all I did was run the Noiseware program on these two pictures... (This program would work even better on full-res pictures)

No. 1:

Before:

After:
Attached Images

Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:15 PM   #5

No. 2:

Before:

After:
Attached Images

Old Nov 14, 2007, 7:42 PM   #6

I certainly don't mind, and what I appreciate more is your putting your setting in. I have used Noiseware on some of my football pictures, but I was losing too much image detail, giving them a very soft look. I ran the same settings on a couple of other shots from the same game....definite improvement.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 8:36 PM   #7

No problem, I find that the portrait setting tends to keep more of the minute details, but still does a very good job at eliminating noise... I printed that baseball shot above at 8x10 and took it to the field tonight for the championship game (didn't shoot it due to wife working and babysitter on sick leave, lol) but I'm pretty sure that shot gained me about 20 more customers... people were begging for business cards. It was, by far, the coolest feeling ever as a photographer... even better than opening up my pretty white 70-200/2.8 for the first time

Nick