Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 29, 2003, 10:13 PM   #1

Default Block or Charge?

This one was called a blocking foul.

First basketball game with the DRebel. Light was terrible. Took 60+ shots of which 5 were decent. Shot with 28-105 lens at ISO800. Noise reduction by NeatImage (my first try with this cool program). Adjusted the color balance slightly in Photoshop. Next time I'll try using a custom white balance in the camera.

Thanks for looking!

ACSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2003, 3:19 AM   #2

I cant see the photo.
put the link to it .
Im thinking about getting the Rebel.
I have an olympus E100RS.
I have trouble with lighting in gyms.
My friend has both, he just got the rebel and he bought a flash ,
he said it has helped him with ice rink shots of hockey.

So do you like the rebel ?
I love my camera ive had it 2 years, awsome outside shots and good lighting shots.
here are some of my shots

www.pbase.com/wvyankeegurl
www.pbase.com/yankees22
www.pbase.com/yankees

put your link ok i want to see the shot
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 2:52 PM   #3

Oops. I'll get this Pbase thing figured out some day. Let's try it a different way:

Yankeegurl- You've taken some nice sports pictures with your E100RS. Until I got the Rebel I shot sports with a 35 mm film camera because my digital point and shoot was pretty useless. I'm still figuring out how to get the most out of the Rebel, but I'm having a great time!

My goal by the end of hoops seasion is to figure out an easy way to light gyms. I read something somewhere about using an off-camera flash triggered by the on-camera one. I have an old flash that I'd like to position up in the stands (handheld by a friend), but I'm not sure if it'll work. Any ideas or advice is welcome.

Happy New Year.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 7:23 PM   #4

ACSmith... I will try to explain what you will need to achieve remote lighting, First you have got to have a camera with a fast flash sync-speed the faster the better My Nikon d-100 barley makes it at 1/180 of a sec. But my D2h Is 1/500 of of a sec. as is much better. I am not sure what the rebel is but check that out first, Next you need some strobe lighting (not modeling lighting) Strobes are Flashes and can be triggered by Slave or sync. Slave is the easiest when your flash goes of on the camera it triggers a photocell on the light and it flashes. Draw back the flash on the camera MUST hit the photocell. I have 4 JTL 300 Strobes with battery packs but the packs are only good for about 90 full power shots. you can run these on AC power but then you are wired in to outlets(cords, people tripping on them that sort of thing) The price on these was about $350 each or close to it. Also have 4 Dyna -lite 400 jr these are better lights but are much more expensive (More bells and whistles and a lot faster refresh time) anyway. both have modeling lights also but can only be used when using AC power. Now to sync this is the best way to ashure flash but is expensive Not only do you need the lights but you need Radio transmitters, Quantim makes good ones and so are pocket wizards these hook from a Flash Sync port from the camera or the flash (this is the sender) and sends a radio signal to the reciever that is hooked to the light to trip the flash each light need one so you can see where i am going with this, each light wil cost between $300 -$600 for the recievers. Digital cameras are very sensitive to voltage spikes DO NOT USE EQUIPTMENT NOT INTENDED SPECIFICALY FOR THAT CAMERA. especially with sync-flash ( I found out the hard way). You will also need a very fast lens 2.8 ap and fast auto focus I hope this helps some. Its not an easy task but it can be done. good luck
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 9:45 PM   #5

Thanks Dale! My first priority is getting a faster lens so it'll be a few years (or the right lottery ticket) before I can accumulate everything you described. On the other hand, that'll give me plenty of time to improve my skills.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 1:35 PM   #6
-jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACSmith
My first priority is getting a faster lens so it'll be a few years (or the right lottery ticket) before I can accumulate everything you described. On the other hand, that'll give me plenty of time to improve my skills.
I like your basketball shot... the slightly blurred ball shows motion... which is cool... good shot.

Try shooting at 1600 ISO. You're already using Neat Image, so you should be able to remove the grain. I've had good luck at 1600 with NI...

If you look for a faster lens, think about a prime lense... they might not be for everyone... but for sports action in somewhat low lighting they can be invaluable... I have a Canon 135mm/F2.0 lens that I really love... my favorite lens... If you watch the pricing, you can get one for around $775 from a reputable dealer...

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote