Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 17, 2004, 10:21 PM   #1

Default Only Gym with ok lighting.......

This was one out of 2 gyms that i could take photos of action with out having an add on flash. This was with my Olympus E100RS.
This was a rival high school team of my daughters she was friends and played ball with the girl shooting, very good ball player.

link

http://www.pbase.com/image/24702303
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2004, 8:34 AM   #2

nice pics!

and wow, it must be a bright in there (as far as gyms go)... I couldn't even think about using iso 200!
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 9:23 AM   #3

I'm curious Did the olympus handle real fast action in the gym or only the slower stuff. I had an E-100rs and sold it when I got my Nikons I have allways wondered if it was just me not getting it set right for the fast stuff inside. Ps Would this gym allow you to use flash ,ours won't(Rats) Thanks
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 10:24 PM   #4

Thanks all!
Well this is the Civic Center so its really big and well lite.
I was about 7 rows up and i didnt use a flash. I set the camera on
auto mostly. Im just a rookie at changing settings.
Some of the fast action came out ok. better than other places inside. Flash didnt use it , it did ok with out. most of the time they come out worse.
Im getting ready to get the Rebel in a couple of weeks.
But from what a friend said today , it dont matter sometimes on the size of the pix. He has that Kodak with 14 pix about a 6000.oo set up and he said with out the big add on flashes which he has, he said some pics just come out the same in gyms.
I love the E100RS specially for getting 15 frames in a row in softball and outside sports. But i like the quick snap of the rebel and the higher pix for other things. So we shall see here soon.
thanks for all your comments!
Old Jan 19, 2004, 4:59 PM   #5

Default awesome pics

I'm jealous. I am trying to take some pics for my daughter's scrapbook. She's a senior this year! I have gotten good advice here and tried different things but...................... I either have a crappy camera when it comes to basketball or (oh no!!) the alternative....I am a crappy photographer. ops: . i've tried shutter priority, with flash, without flash, automatic everything, sports setting......blah!blah!blah! The only thing I haven't done is manual focus because I can't figure it out!! The only time I did get SOME decent pics was in a very well lit gym (ponchartrain center) which was a big complex. Most of the pictures are pretty much not focused. We have about one month left or a month and a half with playoffs and state!! :lol: Somebody help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've thought about investing in an external flash??? Anyway, these are great pics.
Darlene
PS. I have a minolta z1.
darlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 8:19 PM   #6

Darlene, are you using on board Flash, Meaning the little one that pops out of the Camera, If so you are finding out they are preaty much useless, I see that minolta Has the 2500D, the 3600D, and the Big boy 5600HS(D) I would think these would help out a bunch!!! I have never shot any of these but from my reading I would go with the the 5600 looks like a good flash, To bad you cant' borrow one to try it out. Have you done some business with a local Camera shop Not the wal-mart type. Sometimes if you have been a good customer they may let you borrow one (used) to see if it will work for you. or Maybe find somewhere to rent one. I hate to see you sink more money in a Camera that might not be capable of the results you are looking for. But I would think the Flash will help alot if you can get close enough. Also get yourself a cheap Mono Pod and it will help a lot also. Anyway my 2 cents worth. Good Luck.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 9:50 PM   #7

Default thanks, cowboy43

yes, i tried using the "on board" flash. the pictures came out lighter and better without it (?). i have looked online at those flashes. the 5600 costs as much as the camera! I think I could swing the 3600 but like you say i'm afraid to sink more money in a camera that may not be capable of what i'm hoping for. but i do believe i can get better than what i'm getting. i bought the camera at wal-mart so i'm stuck with it. another lady who takes pics at her son's games has the sony 717 and the place she got it lets you take the camera for 30 days and if you're not happy you can bring it back. if i had that option would prob be getting something a bit better. but......i will have to try to figure out how to get the best pics with this one for now. and as i said my time for this daughter's basketball pics is running low as she is a senior (i do have a 7th grade player so i will keep working). i did borrow someones mono pod and will use it friday. i think the prob is focus. will a better flash help the autofocus???? i wish i could figure out the manual focus but i don't feel like i can tell if it's really in focus and can't figure out the little bar that is supposed to tell you the distance (I think). if i remember it showed 1 ml at the bottom and inifinity at the top of the bar so how am i supposed to know where say 30 ft would fall. that prob doesn't make sense. oh well, enthusiasm is turning to frustration. thanks for the imput. let me know if you think the 3600 flash would help the autofocus.
darlene
Old Jan 19, 2004, 10:25 PM   #8

Ok, Let me do some research and I will post tomarow.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 10:37 PM   #9

Default thank you! thank you!

Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:15 AM   #10

Indoor gyms seem to be the hardest shots to take.
Action with digital is hard but in a bad lite gym dont help lol.
I hate taken pics in them, i love the outside shots much better.
Im getting a rebel soon , seems like it dont matter what camera
you have in gyms its more the lighting, and the flash.
i saw an older guy taking some pics with the Nikon D100 and a big flash sat. i need to try to find him to see what kinda photos he got from it. I know someone with the coolpix 5700 she has had trouble too. another person with the big 14pix kodak he said its not for sports really, i havent saw any he has shot yet. I saw someone
on another post say something about a grey card and setting your camera wb with it or something. havent tried it , not sure how yet.
not sure where it is on hear.
my basketball shots i had posted was with no flash on auto mode.
i try different things , most gyms just stink !