Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:43 AM   #1

Default So you want to be a sports shooter revisited

For those of you that have stars in your eyes about shooting professional sports and may be tempted by "too good to be true" agencies out there, please read this story written by a young man who fell for that story. What he left out of the "math" was the $10,000 plus he spent on equipment to shoot those games.
http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2589

I have to say on a personal note, the author showed a lot more professionalism than a number of "experienced" journalists routinely show at sportsshooter.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:15 AM   #2
Administrator

Awwww... C'mon now John. He could have spent around $40,000 on something like a Chevy Volt and saved most of that $10/game gas money, as average recharge cost is only around $1.50/day for them from what they advertise. As for other expenses, isn't $8/meal a bit outrageous? Just buy some cheap bread on sale when it's close to it's expiration date, find some Generic Brand Peanut Butter on sale at a local Dollar General store, and make a sandwich or two to reduce that meal cost. :-)

Then, you could probably cut that season loss down to hundreds less (not counting the investment in the new car and camera gear, maintenance cost, insurance cost, etc.).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:35 AM   #3

He started off saying he was "an intelligent guy......" lol...
As the old saying goes- "A fool and his money are soon parted..."
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:32 PM   #4

Simon - you would be surprised how many would-be sports shooters so something very similar - trade their time/effort/copyright just for a media pass. Lots of people are willing to give away all this just for the "opportunity" to shoot a professional or major college sport event. Heck, there are a lot of people that do the same for local amateur events and submit their photos for no payment to local paper - paper doesn't even give them a media pass.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 2:16 PM   #5

Great post, John. Really an entertaining read and a story I've heard repeated several times.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:20 PM   #6

There are so many opportunities to "hone" your skills- for free- and to think some are paying for the pleasure... AND in the knowledge that someone else is benefiting from it..!!!
That said- my regional news channel occasionally uses some of my photo's- they ask nicely and of course,I'm happy for them to use them- it's kinda cool to see them on TV,especially with your name up top.
Of course,if they wanted ME to pay them for the pleasure... lol...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:58 PM   #7

I've got a media pass and I get paid to shoot photos but with that said I am not the greatest sport shooter and I certainly don't have $10,000 invested in camera gear. What I will say is it takes a lot of skill to shoot good sports shots and would be shooters usually don't do a very good job with sports (like me) although I consider myself a very good action shooter. Action shooter and sports are in two different leagues. I find it hard to believe anyone would want to invest all that money and time and give away their photos for free.......

Also JimC don't forget about those ramon noodles sometimes you can get 6/$1, got for 12 meals.......
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Also JimC don't forget about those ramon noodles sometimes you can get 6/$1, got for 12 meals.......
I survived off of those things in college, I never want to eat raman noodles again if I can avoid it!