Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 23, 2004, 9:27 PM   #11

How big is that bad boy compared to the 70-200 2.8? OK, just checked the price. No sticker shock anyway. No way I can afford both the 70-200 and the 50-500. Shooting BB and FB, would I be better off going with the Bigma?
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 10:19 PM   #12

Andy...

Give me a few days and I will post some photographs taken with the 50-500 according to your request. All you need to do is tell me what situation you want me to shoot in.
I am really looking forward to using my 500 with 2x extender and 1.6 digital increase for wildlife and other this spring and summer. This lens is so sharp it amazes me. Again, give me a shoot directive and I'll post what I get. Don't ask me to get shots of birds or other because I can't guarantee that I'll even be able to find a bird or two. However, tell me to get cars rushing across the highway, signs, houses, trees, or other, and I'll be happy to do the best I can, handheld, to show the capacity of this lens.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 5:54 AM   #13

Anything would be great. From a physical size perspective, how do the 7--200/50-500 compare? It's $750 at B-Way http://www.bwayphoto.com/product.asp?id=sg50500afcn How does that compare.
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 7:11 PM   #14

Andy...
I'm taking my Rebel in for calibration testing so it won't be available for probably a month. That Sigma flash may have screwed up my hotshoe as well and I need to get that looked at. But I had planned to send it in for calibration tests anyway to ensure that it is focusing properly. I had my doubts awhile back so decided to send it in in order to completely eliminate the possibility that the camera is to blame for the occasional soft focus. When I get it back I won't have any excuses.

However, here are a few examples from an extremely long distance at 500mm (with photo 43, the others were at less, but not much...I can't recall exactly)) using my flimsy little monopod and the 50-500 with Sigma flash. The bottom shots of speakers, not the players above. The players in photo 43 were at the extreme opposite end of the auditorium. I was quite pleased with the results. The original photo demonstrates the sharpness more adequately than these little thumbnails.
http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/2004_P...me4_open_1.htm

Here's some artzy fartzy's using the Sigma that I took one afternoon: http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/carrweb/nature1.htm

It's a lens with lots of options from what I've seen.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote