Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:00 AM   #1

Bad lighting, extremely fast action. I used a Pentax *stDS with a 1.8 85mmSMC Takumar, at about f 2.0.

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:02 AM   #2

Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:03 AM   #3

I'm still trying to figure out how to shoot indoor soccer as well. All our venues have the same problem as yours - low lighting and almost all of ours are surrounded by glass (converted hockey rinks) and/or netting. I am still trying to learn where to position myself for the best shots as well. I'd be happy to hear your opinions on that.

Kevin
klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:44 PM   #4

was trying to look at the EXIF data on your photo but none is there.

I shoot indoor basketball, similar problem you have.

Curious to know what your ISO setting was and your shutter speed.

Without knowing more, off hand I would say that you need to make sure that you are shooting in aperature priority mode,have your ISO setting set to 1600 and understand that you want a shutter speed of at least 1/400 to freeze the action, the faster teh better. Looking at the picture, my guess is that your shutter speed was considerably slower.

The lens you mentioned should be able to provide you with those settings. The problem with shooting at f 1.8 or 2.0 is the shallow depth of field, meaning that unless your focus is perfect you will have portions of your picture in focus and portions out of focus. I would try and shoot with an f 2.5 or f 2.8

You can also shoot in burst mode. Those are the things that come to mind immediately.
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:08 PM   #5

Yeah, ISO ( I still want to say ASA) was 1600, and the shutter speed was about 200 or thereabouts. I was set to the sports setting, which would normally open up the lens to get a shutter speed, but the lens was an old screwmount type with an adapter. So manual everything.

In indoor, there's usually one panel open at the top,where the door is. That's where I was. Netting and even plexiglass significantly degrade the image. One place, I actually stick the lens through a square of the net. Works OK, but slows me down when I have to suddenly duck.

Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:55 PM   #6

Need to shoot shutter priority.

If you shoot 1/250th, at ISO1600, it will freeze up the action more.

If you shoot 1/500th, it will probably totally freeze the action, but your image will be a little dark (about one f-stop underexposed).

However, you can correct one F-stop by boosting the exposure using software after the fact.

If you shoot RAW format, you can boost up to two stops of light, and the shot will still look good.

Looks to me like you have a fair amount of light to work with, so try shooting shutter priority, either 1/250th or 1/500th. The camera will select the aperture, which will likely be wide open.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:15 PM   #7

It would, if the lens wasn't a screwmount Takumar.

But it might be worth trying it in RAW format.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:15 PM   #8

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:55 AM   #9

Back before there was indoor plumbing, we had to focus our lenses ourselves, and we liked it, by gum!

Seriously, I could get used to autofocus, but I still do pretty good with manual focus.

Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:00 AM   #10

Don't worry about using the term ASA, that's what 1600 is. ISO had been highjacked but is an improper term. The ISO is a comnination of two older numbers - the ASA (USA) and DIN (Europe/Germany). The ASA is 1600, the DIN is 33, the ISO is 1600/33. Sometimes it's cool to know too much.

Maually focusing? How barbaric!

I'm with those who suggest using manual settings for your SS & F-stop. Either aperture or shutter priority modes can be easily fooled. i.e. At the game you were shooting imagine having two girls with the black uniforms against the mostly green turf versus two girls with the white/red unifroms and the white board background. Any auto mode will render different exposures when indeed the lighting is the same.

Therefore I suggest taking a picture in aperture priority mode with the aperture wide open befor the game even starts, playback the image and check the "info" to see what SS the camera used. That's assuming the camera/lens combo you have will allow you to do that and give you the info you need.

Put the camera into manual mode and set those two numbers, shoot a few pics and check the histogram. Adjust the SS as needed to get a good exposure. You indicated the f-stop was "about" 2.0 and the SS "about" 200. In manual mode you will know exactly what SS & f-stop you're using.

There is a definte color shift in the pics so I would try setting your white balance to fluorescent or tungsten depending on the light source. You have three choices in fluorscent (W,N,D) so you'll have to experiment.

I've shot a lot of soccer at night in high school stadiums and basketball in HS gyms. Based on my experience I would say your SS was lower than 200. But another game will pin point that.

RAW advice - to those people suggesting underexposing your pics while shooting in RAW then "gaining up" the image brightness - listen to them at your own risk. Advice from people who don't know you can shoot at 3200 ISO/ASA is questionable.

If you can't get to at least 1/250 then crank the ISO to 3200. That will allow you to double the SS, although you can expect an increase of digital noise.

I will admit that images on the *ist DS will improve if you shoot in raw and use the Pentax software to convert it. The biggest gain will be in resolution or sharpeness in fine details, whether the improvement is worth the time is up to you. RAW will also allow for further tweaking of the images.

Personally I think getting the absolute best image in-camera can save you a lot of time. To me shooting in raw is like a film guy making all of his own prints - yes they can be improved but that time is better spent with family and friends, or just sleeping.

"I was set to the sports setting, which would normally open up the lens..." If only. Sports modes will shoot a higher SS compared to other program modes but seldon do they open the lens all the way.

Good luck - looking foward to the results from your next game.
Africa
Africa is offline   Reply With Quote