Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:04 AM   #1
TG

Here are some pictures from the final round of the Jayco Bay Cycling Classic 2006.

TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2006, 5:00 PM   #2

I really like these, especially the last one - I really feel like I have to jump out of the way (did you?).

If it's not a trade secret, I would like the know the usual details - speed, F stop, etc.

I'm guessing it was panned with zone focusing, but wonder if you had to PS them a bit for the blur - the faces on most seem so sharp, as do some of the bike details, or is that just a function of how much the bodies are moving/pumping relative to the head movement.

Great captures and great sense of the speed.

Kevin
klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 5:53 PM   #3
TG

Kevin,

Camera was 20D, 17-40mm lens, AI servo focus, fill flash used,shutter speeds were between 1/50 to 1/100 sec mainly 1/80 sec.Shots were pannedwith slow shutter speed and movement of riderbody relative to head, handscaused motion blur. Only PS was normal sharpening and some curves for color. Was on inside corner andI did feel like I would have to jump out of way sometimes.

Tom.

Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:04 PM   #4

Not that they'll stop to talk (and this isn't meant as subtle criticism or anything like that), but do the riders mind the fill flash - is it a bit distracting?

I imagine that at their speed and in that sun, there are many little flashes off metal and they are quite focused in what they are doing so probably not, but wondered if you get any feedback.

Kevin
klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 7:21 AM   #5

I love the perspective on these shots. But it looks like the blurring and smudgingyou added in PP is a bit heavy and in some cases, like image 2 looks too unatural (all the blur/smugding on the back and suddenly the face is in focus. You may want to tone that down a little. Still, a great perspective and very good shots.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:26 AM   #6
TG

John,

No blurring or smuding has been added to any of the images, the only photoshop has been normal sharpening, color curves and resize for web. The blur on the riders body/bike is due to more movement of the body/legs, bike movementat slow shutter speeds. There is less movement from head, hands, handlebars and front wheel so they are more in focus (sharper).

Tom.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 4:27 AM   #7
Super Moderator

TG - These are truely stunning and the sort of thing that I would love to be able to capture.

I will have to get out and start practising!!!!!

Mark

http://www.photographysmith.co.uk
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote