Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 20, 2006, 1:40 PM   #1

I hadn't posted anything in a while, so I thought I'd post a couple of gymnastics pics from a week ago. Lighting of course was horrible and access is restricted to one end of the gym with all the spectators so there isn't much ability to improve angles. In fact the waythey had the bars set up - competitors were working with their backs to the crowd. So, was unfortunately too far away to use the 50mm 1.8 and had to use the 70-200 2.8 at ISO 3200. Might be time to break down and buy the 85mm 1.8

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2006, 2:02 PM   #2

Nice shots John

It is amazing at good they look in light of t he fact that they were shot at 3200

How much post processing was done?
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 3:23 PM   #3

I'd say that the 70-200 is working quite well for you. Or you are working very well with it.

Kevin
klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 4:12 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I find there are 2 keys which allow an ISO 3200 shot to be usable:

1. Be as close to the action as possible - so very little cropping. I'd rather lose a body part than crop heavily - there just isn't enough detail -especially in faces to allow heavy cropping.

2. Proper exposure. When shooting high ISO - bumping up exposure in RAW conversion really brings out noise - as does levels. So, if I have to bump up by a stop or more there's usually too much detail lost in a face.

Unfortunately a number of pictures suffered from the above two and thus were trashed. Even the ones that remained I had to do WB adjustments, some USM and noise reduction - I use Noiseware. The noise reduction is always a battle - since I keep my images color I prefer low noise but it's a fine line between low noise and too much loss of detail. Which usually means applying noise reduction manually rather than via batch.

Also - tried a custom WB but the cycling of the lights screwed that up whenever I shot a sequence so I resigned myself to shooting RAW and the memory eat and buffer fill that goes with it. Actually a guy was asking me about my equipment and commented on the 'big lens' - and how I could probably really zoom up on the action. I replied it wasn't the reach that was the problem it was the poor lighting. Turns out he was the owner - my bad

I quickly explained it wasn't a knock - just a fact of life that providing enough light in a room that size was reserved for colleges and professional arenas who could charge more than $4 to see an event. Fortunately he understood
Old Jan 20, 2006, 4:36 PM   #5

I use noiseware professional as well on most of my pictures. I dont care much for the noise grain. Some people prefer some, I like smooth shots, provided they dont look plastic or take away too much detail.

I set up a custom profile in noisware that is very conservative. After I do my otheredts I run the batch. After I review the filtered images, if any look overdone I justdelete it and adjust my working copy manually or not at all . It is a real time saver for me because it is not unusual for me to shoot 500 images in a normal BBall game and keep 75 - 100. If I filter 100 inages there may be 10 that I dont like and handle that accordingly.

I think noiseware is a great program.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 5:14 PM   #6

I like the simplicity of the shots.

Suits the subject.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 2:46 AM   #7

John G

I'm so glad to read your rules for shooting at high ISO's. Everyone should read it and know that's the way pros do it.

There are so many who advise people to shoot loose - then crop, and to under expose - then use RAW to gain up the exposures. The first one kills meagpixels, i.e. you lose detail and sharpness, while the second increases noise.

To sum up, shoot tight to avoid cropping and get the exposure correct IN THE camera.

Oh BTW - nice pics!*
:idea:
Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 2:52 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Africa wrote:
Quote:
John G

I'm so glad to read your rules for shooting at high ISO's. Everyone should read it and know that's the way pros do it.

There are so many who advise people to shoot loose - then crop, and to under expose - then use RAW to gain up the exposures. The first one kills meagpixels, i.e. you lose detail and sharpness, while the second increases noise.

To sum up, shoot tight to avoid cropping and get the exposure correct IN THE camera.

Oh BTW - nice pics!
:idea:
amen..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:16 AM   #9

Africa wrote:
Quote:
John G

Thank you very much.I still recommend shooting loose in good light until you get the hang of what you're shooting. I can't tell you how many early shots of mine had missing hands and feet (darn feet are still a problem !!) so you back off a little until you're more comfortable and then start shooting tight. This way you can make progress -trying to shoot tight from the beginning will yield toomany mistakes and you get discouraged.Then after youare consistantly capturing the action and getting exposuresand focus right you can add the tight shooting to really get the detail.

Thanks everyone for looking and commenting!

Old Jan 21, 2006, 11:03 AM   #10

I have never missed a foot in a shot :G

The other variable is shooting with what you have to shoot with and making the best of it. Both of my lenses are fixed focal length lenses so there is some compromise. The 28=70 I want to get will help me in alot of my shooting situations but not all, because admittedly it is short.

I want Johns 70 - 200 in the worst way and one day I will get there. Until then I shoot and crop. 8mp images allow you have some freedom in that area without losing to much detail.

In a perfect world, we would all have the freedom to own what each of us envision to be the perfect set up. The realities of Mortgage, car payments, children, clothes, vacation, retirement savings, food, utility bills, gasoline, all conspire to force us into making compromise purchases.

I dont know about you guys, but compromise purchases are my life. Until that ceases to be my reality, I work hard to buy what I can afford and use your knowledge and constructive comments to learn what I need to apply to take the best pictures possible with the gear I have to work with.

Pictures are fleeting moments in time frozen forever. I want mine to refelct the best I can do.

Holy smokes, where did all that come from!!! I need coffee....