Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX700
Name:  panasonic_dmc-FX700_550.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  74.8 KB
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Since the DMC-FX75 and DMC-FX700 use the same lens and image sensor, our image quality findings were very similar.
I am confused about review... I don't think they have even similar sensor. Difference between CCD and new smallest CMOS sensor are huge. I am very disappointed with picture quality of FX700, don't have Fx75 to compare, but comparing to oldish Ixus 70 it is worse... too much noise, soft details... to me looks more like it should be compared to mobile phones cameras... But... HD recording is awesome, no smearing effect anymore, which with other great usability features will help this camera to stay with me for some time...
rocktheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:51 PM   #3

Default Picture quality of FX700 vs FX75???

I have thoroughly reviewed the picture quality (at 100% crop) on both the DCM-FX75 and the DMC-FX700 reviews on Steve's Digicams, and on the similar pictures (i.e. the park with the cannons or the Chinese restaurant) the picture quality from the FX75 is by far better than the F700.

I'm about to purchase any of these cameras, the features from the FX700 makes it a big plus, but I'm pretty disappointed about the lower picture quality with the much higher price tag than the FX75.

I would really appreciate some feedback in regards of the picture quality, it might be just my appreciation and the pictures displayed might not be as representative.

Thanks!
hepf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 1:03 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Hepf.

I would agree that the still image output of the FX75 looks a little better at 100% crop compared to the FX700. There may be something amiss with the image processor in the panny's that use the MOS sensor, the FZ100 showed some quirkiness too in that regard compared to the FZ40, so its possible it could improve in future f/w iterations.

however, at most presentation sizes, the differences seem pretty minimal.

the features of the FX700 may still make it worth it. especially the no streaking on the full 1080 video using the MOS sensor, if you are into video at all.

If you are looking for mainly a still camera and rarely use video, you may just save the money and get the FX75.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 1:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We also have to consider that when pixel peeping 14-megapixel images from such tiny sensors, there's always going to be some unwanted noise, etc. To be honest, I have yet to be "totally impressed" with the output from any of these 14-megapixel 1/2.3-inch image sensors (CCD or CMOS).

However, for the average user, it's not likely that these imperfections will rear their ugly little heads with your typical 4x6 or 8x10-inch prints, or when viewing images at normal, full-screen (25-35%) values. Let's not also forget that a good majority of consumers probably post their photos to Facebook, and that's about it.

If you want images to look awesome at 100% on a point-n-shoot, join the club. Even images from some of the most popular dSLRs show some unwanted artifacts when viewing images at 100%. What matters most is whether or not the end result will work with your needs (e.g. capturing snap shots to share with friends and family, printing enlargements for commercial use, etc.).
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:56 AM   #6

Thanks Hards80 and billy for your comments!

I agree that for most purposes the quality difference will be irrelevant and barely noticeably, but the price range is quite big. Among the biggest features the FX700 has over the FX75 are the higher quality and faster burst mode (but potentially not used frequently) and the Full HD video with stereo recording.

The feature that interests me the most is the video quality and the sound. Up to now I have a Flip video camera recording at 720p, I'm pretty happy with the quality. The idea would be to replace the Flip by the Lumix video capability.

What are your comments regarding the video quality of both models, considering the price difference?
Again, I really appreciate your comments.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:00 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Hopefully Billy will weigh in on the specifics here.

but in general the MOS sensor will do better for the video, since it will not cause light streaking in areas of direct sunlight/contrast. My ZR1 with the CCD will streak pretty badly into the sun, as will similar ccd sensored cams like the fz35 etc. This alone may make it worth upgrading to the MOS sensored F700 if you are interested in video, as well as the increased resolution up the full 1080.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Hopefully Billy will weigh in on the specifics here.

but in general the MOS sensor will do better for the video, since it will not cause light streaking in areas of direct sunlight/contrast. My ZR1 with the CCD will streak pretty badly into the sun, as will similar ccd sensored cams like the fz35 etc. This alone may make it worth upgrading to the MOS sensored F700 if you are interested in video, as well as the increased resolution up the full 1080.
I think You did fine here Dustin.

The main advantages of a "CMOS" sensor over a CCD type in a point-n-shoot are usually power consumption and speed (e.g. faster burst mode rates). Panasonic's MOS or "Live MOS" sensors are similar to CMOS type units, with a few small differences; they claim to offer comparable image quality to a CCD type unit, with the lower power consumption characteristics of a CMOS sensor.

Like Dustin already mentioned, if video is of greater importance, then the FX700's full 1080 video mode should suffice the additional cost. As he pointed out, it appears the MOS sensor is allowing for high-quality video as well. Also, the FX700 boasts stereo sound (mono on the FX75), and more advanced exposure controls. Again, these help justify the $100 increase in price.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:49 PM   #9

Thanks a lot for your comments!!!
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:57 AM   #10

Hi! I'm just new here. I recently bought this camera and i don't seem to be happy with the picture quality. I'm not a photographer but I know there is something wrong with the photos i've taken. I noticed that there is noise and quality is not sharp at all. I hope somebody can help me with the settings. Thanks. By the way, how i do attach a photo?
jiggs729 is offline   Reply With Quote