Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Steve's Latest Reviews

Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:27 AM   #1

Default Samsung GALAXY S6

See Steve's hands on review here:

Samsung GALAXY S6

billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:19 PM   #2

Outdoor shots look rather nice... I wonder what the equivalent focal length is of the lens... it looks rather wide (though I don't know where you were standing...!).
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2015, 2:48 AM   #3

I've had my S6 about a month now, and so far, I love it. My wife has the IPhone 6, and they were about the same cost. I think the camera is better in the S6, but the battery life is abysmal. You will definitely need to charge every night under "normal" use. If you take pics and video and upload them to Facebook you may have to carry an emergency charger in your pocket. As soon as I figure out which one I want, I'm getting one. I almost went with the LG G4, because I had a spare 64 gigabyte micro sd card, but after thinking it through, and reading reviews on both phones, I decided on the S6.The S6 has a built in memory, like the IPhone, as well as a non- removable battery. The limitation on the memory is the only real downside I can think of. I got the 32 gigabyte version, and so far, it has been adequate. This is a very good camera/phone combination for the times when you don't have your good camera with you. Being on the fence between Apple and Samsung is a terrible place to be. Time will tell if I made the right decision. I think I did.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Outdoor shots look rather nice... I wonder what the equivalent focal length is of the lens... it looks rather wide (though I don't know where you were standing...!).
According to some specs I've seen, it's 28mm.

I'll add that to the review, as that's a great question.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
I've had my S6 about a month now, and so far, I love it. My wife has the IPhone 6, and they were about the same cost. I think the camera is better in the S6, but the battery life is abysmal. You will definitely need to charge every night under "normal" use. If you take pics and video and upload them to Facebook you may have to carry an emergency charger in your pocket. As soon as I figure out which one I want, I'm getting one. I almost went with the LG G4, because I had a spare 64 gigabyte micro sd card, but after thinking it through, and reading reviews on both phones, I decided on the S6.The S6 has a built in memory, like the IPhone, as well as a non- removable battery. The limitation on the memory is the only real downside I can think of. I got the 32 gigabyte version, and so far, it has been adequate. This is a very good camera/phone combination for the times when you don't have your good camera with you. Being on the fence between Apple and Samsung is a terrible place to be. Time will tell if I made the right decision. I think I did.
I was impressed with the images Eric captured with the S6. I have an iPhone 5S, and in good lighting it can take some awesome photos. The key is having sufficient light, which is not always possible.

The S6 images looks even better than my 5S, so much so that I have been thinking of upgrading to the S6. However, being an Android fan who switched to the dark side (Apple), I'm not sure I can go back. My iPhone has been less buggy, and performance seems to be the same as when I first got it; after we got past the initial iOS 8.0 update. Every Android device I've owned, including the ones my Wife has owned/owns, seems to get sluggish after 6+ months of use.

Good luck with your decision Hawgwild.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 11:23 PM   #6

Well, after about two months' use, I have to point out the obvious weak spot in this phone. Battery life. I generally unplug from the charger about 6:30 am, and by 2:00 pm, the phone is nearly dead. This situation leaves you with two choices. Charge the phone often in the car or anywhere you have access to a wall outlet, or buy an auxillary power supply. I purchased from Amazon prime a 10,000 mah portable power supply/ recharger, and carry it when I will be somewhere away from my vehicle for an extended period of time. This is a pain in the you-know-what, but necessary if you wish to utilize all the good features of the S6. I understand Samsung actually reduced the battery size from the previous versions of this phone, from about 2800 mah to about 2500 mah. I think, in spite of the great camera hardware this phone has, had I been aware of the dismal battery life, I would have opted for an iphone 6.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Well, after about two months' use, I have to point out the obvious weak spot in this phone. Battery life. I generally unplug from the charger about 6:30 am, and by 2:00 pm, the phone is nearly dead. This situation leaves you with two choices. Charge the phone often in the car or anywhere you have access to a wall outlet, or buy an auxillary power supply. I purchased from Amazon prime a 10,000 mah portable power supply/ recharger, and carry it when I will be somewhere away from my vehicle for an extended period of time. This is a pain in the you-know-what, but necessary if you wish to utilize all the good features of the S6. I understand Samsung actually reduced the battery size from the previous versions of this phone, from about 2800 mah to about 2500 mah. I think, in spite of the great camera hardware this phone has, had I been aware of the dismal battery life, I would have opted for an iphone 6.
Thanks for the input Hawgwild.

My iPhone 5S lasts all day, and sometimes into the next morning; depending on my usage, or course. I was never impressed with Android battery life. My wife seems to have her Samsung Note 3 plugged in more often than not, but she does use it heavily; that's her "PC", as she rarely uses a computer for anything.