Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 9, 2004, 7:51 AM   #11
Senior Member
NHL's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,599

Mikefellh wrote:
You didn't even look at the link I posted, did you?
Well I did actually, and knew about it long before you posted it... lot of anecdotal evidences and insinuendo, the key paragraph is actually brushed aside: "The ISO 10330 specification ("Photography -- Synchronizers, ignition circuits and connectors for cameras and photoflash units -- Electrical characteristics and test methods," 1992) says that all ISO-compliant cameras should be able to accept trigger voltages up to 24V. Though a Canon engineer is the nominal head of the ISO workgroup, for some reason Canon continues to insist that their cameras tolerate no more than 6V (make that Canon USA — an email from Canon Canada says: "There is not a maximum voltage requirement for the hot shoe terminal on the PowerShot G1." Go fig!). For that reason I've tagged strobes that trigger at voltages between 6V and 24V as "your call." Depending upon who you ask — the camera or strobe manufacturers — those strobes are acceptable or they are not."
There's a good reason for this higher voltage, especially on high-end units, since studio photographers tend to string several lights together through multiple connectors. Some folks even use coiled cords amounting to 100ft... or even more when the strobes are spreaded apart with their wires hidden away

You did not read my post however: I have no problem with the Wein at high voltages. Just that you can overdo it when the sync voltage is already low. Check it out sometime... on many units their voltage are lower than 5V and I can't imagine what this voltage will be at the end of long cables (beside the combination with impedance on the line)... Will it trigger was the original question? :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 2:47 PM   #12
Junior Member
chuckie_237's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 25

Wow, this was a bit of a hot topic. Thanks for everyones replys ! However, after spending a little time at my local Helix camera location here in Chicago, I found that to use my studio strobes with my Canon G5 I need the "Wein hshsbd" . The "D" designation at the end of the model type means this model Wein hot sync will work with most digital cameras .... Again, for most digital cameras with a hot shoe and no pc terminal, The Wein "HSHSBD" is what u need to use studio strobes with your digital camera. There are several similar looking Wein safe syncs out there, so be careful !!
chuckie_237 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:42 AM.