Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Sep 28, 2006, 3:47 PM   #1

Hey all. I'm looking to put together a home lighting kit for portraits and general studio work. I would like to use some cheap halogen bulbs from Lowes that seem to be recommended here. Trouble is, I need a few more things.

Umbrellas - I would like to find a 45" or bigger umbrella and two 40" ones. I'd like for them all to be silver. Where do I get umbrellas?

Stands - I need 3 stands.

Light sockets - Perhaps the toughest of them all. Where do I get an AC light socket that I can clamp onto the stands?

Thank you in advanced.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2006, 8:59 AM   #2

If using halogen bulbs with umbrella's you really have to watch out for FIRE. Those lights get very,very hot. You would be better off using daylight balanced fluorescent lights.

I have photographed house fires where the fire was started by a lamp using a halogen light to close to drapes etc.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:12 PM   #3

The umbrellas (get the biggest you can afford...60" rocks) & stands can be bought from Adorama or B&H. And why all silver? (That will change the color hue of your lamps slightly). You also need adapters for your stands to hold the umbrellas (most strobes have them built in, stands don't). The clamp light-sockets can be bought at Lowes too. And Ronnie948 is right...don't start a fire & unless you have fans, you & your models are going to sweat (if you're shooting people).
Old Sep 29, 2006, 4:41 PM   #4

If you don't mind ebay check these eBay stores, I've had good luck with them so far.

I've bought items from "Photography Stuffs" and the products have been excellent:
http://stores.ebay.com/Photography-stuffs

and Amovna, but quality seems to vary a lot from one product to the next:
http://stores.ebay.com/amvona-com
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:30 AM   #5

Is there a specific kit that you would recommend? It looks like it might be economical to buy the reflectors and sockets from one of them.

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
If you don't mind ebay check these eBay stores, I've had good luck with them so far.

I've bought items from "Photography Stuffs" and the products have been excellent:
http://stores.ebay.com/Photography-stuffs

and Amovna, but quality seems to vary a lot from one product to the next:
http://stores.ebay.com/amvona-com
Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:05 PM   #6

Hard to say which of the kits might be good.
This one looks intersting for halogen continous lighting
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Lamps-750W-Lig...QQcmdZViewItem

The kit comes with 2 softboxes(kind of unusual for halogen heat) , and the lights look like they have a umbrella holder in them.

Not sure if being able to vary the output would change the color temperature of the lights.

I've bought things from photography-stuffs like the "pro portable background system", reflector and "large pro shooting table".
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:02 PM   #7

I have put together a setup like what you describe. Bought stands and umbrellas at Cord camera store here locally, as well as the adapters. THen bought small clamp lamps at Lowe's, with clear 200w tungsten bulbs. They do get hot to the touch, but don't seem to make me or subjects warmer than normal. I just turn them off first before packing up, and in 5 minutes they're cool enough to put away.

Stands - $19.99 ea

43" white umbrellas - $16.99 ea

Adapters- $29.99 ea

clamp lamps - $4.99 ea

bulbs - $2.99 ea

I'm really happy with the setup's results so far...
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:06 PM   #8

urbanaries, do you have any example pictures you've taken with your setup?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:33 AM   #9

Windowshots from this serieswas taken w/ this setup: Light 1 + umbrella at ~45 degree angle to model's left, and Light 2 18" from floor behind model, no umbrella, pointing up for backlight.

Dark/black images were taken with just Main light, and dark brown velour backdrop. ($13 drapery panels from Wal-Mart). Now I wish I had added backlight to those as well!

Anyway, you might also want to check out kenmck's inspirational setup here. Even more economy! Hope this helps.

urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:29 PM   #10

Urbanaries,
your parts price list seems high :?
I add it up to 74.95 each setup, * 3 would be 224.85 just about the same price as the kits from ebay.
Unless I am figuring something wrong.:lol:

urbanaries wrote:
Quote:
I have put together a setup like what you describe. Bought stands and umbrellas at Cord camera store here locally, as well as the adapters. THen bought small clamp lamps at Lowe's, with clear 200w tungsten bulbs. They do get hot to the touch, but don't seem to make me or subjects warmer than normal. I just turn them off first before packing up, and in 5 minutes they're cool enough to put away.

Stands - $19.99 ea

43" white umbrellas - $16.99 ea

Adapters- $29.99 ea

clamp lamps - $4.99 ea

bulbs - $2.99 ea

I'm really happy with the setup's results so far...