Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Oct 25, 2006, 5:59 AM   #1
Super Moderator

I am considering moving house in the near (ish) future and would like to make one of the rooms (probably the lounge) into a studio, but was wondering what size realistically is needed to be able to get a good set up and use the right length lenses. I guess I am asking what is the smallest, what would be good and what is the idea?

Thanks,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:21 PM   #2

The largest you can afford (although I have used a 12x9 foot apartment, bedroom wall for a studio, due to the "affording" part). But I was also setting up & breaking down my equipment for each shoot...for a dedicated room, I would want at least 20x40' with 9-12' ceilings & would use tracks & booms as much as possible.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 5:09 PM   #3
Super Moderator

That's cool. The place I am looking at has a lounge which is 16' x 13' and approx 9' ceiling so that would be a good transformation and I would convert the dining room into a lounge (perks of being single you can do things like that without getting told off!!). Will have to see what comes back from the estate agents now. Here is a pic of the room (no I didn't take it... bad composition, lack of colour etc lol).
Attached Images

Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:47 PM   #4

That looks big enough to me. It's larger than the room I used a makshift studio, and that comfortably allowed me to get in the lighting and take full length shots of a model with a lens of about a 35mm focal length.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 8:29 PM   #5

I'm set up in my living room, I'm single too Mark. It is really not big enough, but works ok. I have a large basement that would be really good if the ceilings were a bit higher, they are only 7' which limits my lighting too much I think.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:35 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Ouch 7', I would only just be able to stand up in there..... lol!

I just hope that I am able to get the place now so we will have to wait and see )