Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Aug 8, 2004, 1:12 PM   #11

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
So which one is it guys? I am hearing two completly different things on power. Someone recommended that if you have a DSLR you should get the Alien Bees B800? Why does it matter if you have a DSL, why does this suggest I will need more power? Whay made me think about this is a higher aperture is only going to make a greater depth of field and a clearer background. In a small studio where the model is very close to the background I wiould use mt 50 1.8 of the 55-200 at F4 or 5.6. With the 50 1.8 I would need much less light, will the B800 be able to reduce this low with only 5 ,1/2 steps (1/32 of 320 FP) @ISO 100.

I have already decided to get a couple AB's I just don't know if I should get a B400 or B800 first. I primarily shoot portraits on location at their home or my apartment. I very seldom ever shoot more than 3 people together. Where will the extra power of the B800 be useful?
You can always turn the power down on the 800's...it's very easy with the Bees. However, if you need more power, you can't turn up power you don't already have. As long as you are purchasing now, I would get the 800's because you will want the extra power eventually.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 2:04 PM   #12

There it is... I definately believe you Kalypso the lighting expert. I will get the 800's then. You are correct I didn't think about using strobs for out door shooting. You have alos made me think about mixing my existing lighting equipment with the strobes. I have Some Smitch Victor Hot lights that I would have probably got rid of once I got the Bee's but I like the way you mix them up. Again, I didn't think about clipping them above the model like that with filters and umbrella's. I think once I get more stands and diffusers I will be O.K.

I am switching my investments from more / better camera equipment and lens to lighting. I really only had the basics. I swapped my lens budget I got the 50 1.8 prime instead of the 70-200 F4L. With the money I save I will pick up some lights. I am happy about this decision, I hope lbetter lighting will help mor than better lens.

Thanks
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 11:05 PM   #13

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
There it is... I definately believe you Kalypso the lighting expert. I will get the 800's then. You are correct I didn't think about using strobes for outdoor shooting. You have also made me think about mixing my existing lighting equipment with the strobes. I have some Smitch Victor hot lights that I would have probably gotten rid of once I got the Bee's, but I like the way you mix them up. Again, I didn't think about clipping them above the model like that with filters and umbrella's. I think once I get more stands and diffusers I will be O.K.

I am switching my investments from more & better camera equipment and lenses to lighting. I really only had the basics. I swapped my lens budget I got the 50 1.8 prime instead of the 70-200 F4L. With the money I save I will pick up some lights. I am happy about this decision, I hope better lighting will help more than a better lens.

Thanks
Ummm....thanks! But, I am far from a lighting expert. I've just invested the time to figure out how certain lighting works better for each situation while shooting people. After much work (& a lot of help in the form of patience of Jessica, Katie & Gayle), I can work out my own lighting using my imagination. As far as teaching someone else how to do it...it would have to be one-on-one at each particular shoot because I never use the same setup. Just what works for the situation.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 1:57 PM   #14

I purchased one AB800 and the Sekonic L358 light meter. This meter is the one most people recommend. It seems simpler than I expected with all the features people list. I think I would have been o.k. with and incedent, flash and ambient only meter. In any case I think learning to use a meter will only help me take better photos.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote