Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Oct 29, 2006, 4:33 PM   #1

I'm doing some research to set up a studio in a spare room in our home. The room is approx 14'x16' with 9' ceilings. I'm new to the studio lighting and wondered what the difference in a softbox and umbrella were? Also I have a Nikon D70S and was thinking of purchasing the SB-800 speedlight, howeverthe price is equilivant to some of the light kits I've seen at http://stores.ebay.com/Photography-s...QQftidZ2QQtZkm, now I'm wondering if I should invest in the speedlight or the kit. I already have some of the components I would need to make my own lighting, but would still need to invest in umbrellas, bulbs and adapters (if I didn't use the ducttape). I'm thinking I would be better off to use that money towards the light kit. I just don't know which direction to go. Please, does anyone have any advise?

Thanks

A
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2006, 9:54 PM   #2

Well, I just purchased a studio setup, and it uses umbrellas, so I'll give my opinion. I have a Nikon Coolpix 8800, which I'm very happy with. I ordermy studio strobe set from eBay, here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...;rd=1&rd=1

I also ordered a wireless trigger, also from eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...;rd=1&rd=1

For software, I purchased Photoshop Elements 5.0 and Photoshop Premiere 3.0 as a combo package. I also ordered a chromakey background, and a stand, I can provide that information if you want.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the studio setup. I've got things setup in our upstairs game room, and I've taken a few pics. It did take me a while (About 25 minutes or so) to get everything working together, like white balance, and firing the flash, but I'm happy. Here's a pic I took with of our middle child (Clint):

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.
Attached Images

HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:56 AM   #3

Huges, incredible results! I've been considering that same kit, but I'm hoping I could get the same results with a cheaper continuous lighting kit.

I had a question about your wireless trigger. Can you trigger all of your strobes with that one trigger?
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:52 PM   #4

Very nice!!!

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 1:13 PM   #5

Nizidramanii: Yes, I have one remote trigger that plugs intoone "master strobe", and the remainder of the strobes fire when the "master strobe" fires. I'm very pleased with the setup.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:13 PM   #6

That picture of your son looks great. I amtrying to set up a home studio as well and am planning on buying the same lighting set from Ebay. Can you describe the arrangement of the lights used for this photo? Was on-camera flash used at all or just the strobes?
jetranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 3:26 PM   #7

HughesInNC, I agree that photo looks great. Thanks for your input.
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 4:47 PM   #8

Jetranger: Thanks for your kind words. The photo was taken in our garage, using 2 strobes, in front of the subject. He was about 3 feet in front of a green chromakey back drop, which I did not light when this pic was taken (I was experimenting). The 2 strobes were placed at about 45 degree angle from him, and both about 5-6 feet away from the subject. They were placed at his level, maybe 6 inches above him, at the most. I used PhotoShop Elements 5.0's Image Extractor to remove the green background (although, if you look close, you can still see some of the background, which is the reason I used a green studio digital background). I used apeture priority, set apeture to 7.9, or something close, speed was 1/60 of a second. On camera flash was disabled, only the strobes fired.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 8:43 AM   #9

afayec wrote:
Quote:
I'm doing some research to set up a studio in a spare room in our home. The room is approx 14'x16' with 9' ceilings. I'm new to the studio lighting and wondered what the difference in a softbox and umbrella were? Also I have a Nikon D70S and was thinking of purchasing the SB-800 speedlight, howeverthe price is equilivant to some of the light kits I've seen at http://stores.ebay.com/Photography-s...QQftidZ2QQtZkm, now I'm wondering if I should invest in the speedlight or the kit. I already have some of the components I would need to make my own lighting, but would still need to invest in umbrellas, bulbs and adapters (if I didn't use the ducttape). I'm thinking I would be better off to use that money towards the light kit. I just don't know which direction to go. Please, does anyone have any advise?

Thanks

A
aluap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:51 AM   #10

An umbrella can be used to reflect the light by aiming the light away from your subject and bouncing the light back onto the subject or it can be used to diffuse and spreadthe light by shooting through the umbrella. A softbox deffuses, spreads and softens the light a little more than a umbrella. This shot was taken using two softboxes, on in front above the camera, one to her right and above. and a umbrella behind and left reflecting the light.
Attached Images

Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote