Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:27 AM   #1

I had some photos of my daughter and I taken by a photographer a few weeks before I purchased my D70s. I made sure to pay attention to her setup knowing that I wanted to do a studio setup when I purchased my cam. I didn't think to ask what type of lights she was using...I was still researching the camera and didn't think of the different types of lights.

She had one softbox and one umbrella. The cam was connected to them with a wire. The lights were constant, but when she took the photo they flashed brighter. Is this how strobes work? I really like the results it produced and was thinking of going with a similar setup to start.

Also, it seems that using a black backdrop would eliminate noticable shadows behind the subject. Would I need a backlight if I were to use a white or light background?

Thanks

A
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2006, 9:23 AM   #2

Studio cams have what is known as modelling lights.They are on permanent , it is for the photographer to set up the light angle to eliminate bad shadows etc.A small flash or a snoot to highlight the hair or to kill backshadows can be used. positioning of lights only comes with experience.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 4:13 PM   #3

She was using a Nikon D70s so I don't think she had any special lights. Would we call the lights you are referring to 'modeling lights' in the US?

Thanks for your reply.

afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 9:58 PM   #4

Many studio strobes include lower wattage "modeling lights" in their design. Some don't, but many do. As geratric said, they are to give you an idea of the lighting ratios & shadow control, etc. I'd be looking at http://www.alienbees.com if I were in the market for strobes.