Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Nov 3, 2006, 8:27 PM   #1

Hey guys. After doing a lot of reading about lighting, I've decided against getting an eBay lighting setup and have instead decided to go for a single high-quality strobe setup for portraits and product photography. I'd like to get a B800 as my strobe. I was wondering how effective I could be with one strobe, and what do I need to get great shots (reflectors, umbrellas, etc)?
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2006, 5:27 PM   #2

One light with an umbrella as main light.

A large reflector as a fill.

You will need a flash meter to adjust your lightsfor shutter speed and F-stopto do it properly.

Keep subjects far away from background to avoid shadows.

I have used one window and a reflector before and got great results.

It's not always the quantity of lights you use, It is the quality and care of the lighting involved. With digital you can experiment with different lighting set-ups with no cost or waste.

Ronnie
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 9:39 PM   #3

Cute picture!

For the umbrella, what would you guys recommend? Bigger the better? I think I'd like to go with a 60" silver.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:49 AM   #4

A 60 inch white would be better for portraits. Photogenic E-Clips has one you can remove the black fabric and shoot through it to give a very soft large light. Silver would be A very harsh light source to use for portraits. White would also allow the true colors to prevail.

Ronnie
PS:

Go to the studio lights links on top of"studio lighting & other" at the top of steves pageand you can learn a lot about lighting.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:02 AM   #5

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
A 60 inch white would be better for portraits. Photogenic E-Clips has one you can remove the black fabric and shoot through it to give a very soft large light. Silver would be A very harsh light source to use for portraits. White would also allow the true colors to prevail.
I agree with Ronnie on the white. I have a 3 light set that came with a silver umbrella along with two softboxes for the main lights. It only took me two photos to figure out I needed to switch to a white umbrella. The one Ronnie mentions with the removable black fabric back is a nice one too.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:08 PM   #6

Thanks! I'll probably go with a 60" white with removable silver lining and some mirrors and posterboard. I'll try to nab a flash meter for cheap somewhere...
Old Nov 12, 2006, 6:55 AM   #7

I use a Strobo-sock (available at Adorama) when shooting strobes with silver umbrellas. It's a white nylon diffuser that fits over the strobe head and gives a soft white light. I find it reduces the harsh effects of the sliver lining quite nicely.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:43 AM   #8

Do you guys think I would be better off going with 2 B400's instead of 1 B800?
Old Nov 12, 2006, 1:43 PM   #9

Try to swing one of each.

Ronnie
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:35 PM   #10

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Try to swing one of each.

******************* Ronnie
You mean one B800 and one B400? Ouch, that's sort of rough on my college budget...(even the 2 B400's is rough!) Since I have a 5 stop adjustment, I was thinking that the B400's would be sufficient.

Is there a specific reason that I would need more?