Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Nov 9, 2006, 10:24 AM   #1

I've been reading on the forums that a light meter is needed for studio lighting and wondered if anyone could recommend a good/inexpensive one. What features should I look for in a meter?

Thanks
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2006, 1:11 PM   #2

Just be certain you purchase a "FLASH METER" They will read a strobe light flash. A regular light meter won't. I don't think anyone makes a bad one. Just some have a lot more features on them and cost a lot more.

Ronnie,
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:54 PM   #3

A very good incident/flash meter to consider is the Sekonic L-358. Not sure what price they are now, but paid $219 for mine, and it was worth every penny.
yendikeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 8:30 AM   #4

I use a Polaris which will meter flash or natural light (incident and reflected). You can trigger it from a PC cord to take test readings. Just got my new B&H catalog and it's going for $160 US. A good meter at a good price IMO.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:32 AM   #5

Although Konica Minolta is no longer in the photography equipment business, their flash meters are still quite good. I have the flash meter V. I'm sure there are still some closeouts going for these alsoat some of the local camera stores.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:32 PM   #6

I read a comparison review of them somewhere. The fancy ones with the most features performed exactly as the cheaper (JTL...$50.00 or so), as far as metering went. Of course, having the meter trigger your flash units is a nice perk......
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:51 AM   #7

Thank you all for your input. Since I'm just starting out I really value any advice I can get from those with experience.

I'll keep everything in mind as I'm researching my flash/light meter purchase.

A
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote