Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Dec 31, 2006, 6:47 PM   #1

Hello again.

I just purchased the Elinchrom D-Lite 4 kit. I like it a lot, but the size of the included softboxes are quite small.

I'm going to purchase a third light and would like a larger softbox.

What size(s) do you all like, and do any of you have an opinion on the new (to me) octogonal softboxes?

Thanks in advance.

This forum is always a great help.

Bob
aka jzzmusician
jzzmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2006, 9:06 PM   #2

The larger the better.....Indoors, a 60" umbrella is great (or large retangular softbox). Outdoors, a 45", 5-in1 reflector or a large white translucent reflector work great! The Octogonal softboxs give you the same catch-lights as most umbrellas (more round and they are known by different names....Softlighter & Halo's are a few). A lumiquest pocket-bounce or pocket-softbox, on a external frame-mounted flash work great in close quarters...as seen here:

Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:27 PM   #3

Thanks Kalypso. I'll start looking at those brands you suggested. Any difference in the octa vs square (or rectagonal) other than the obvious shape of catch lights.

I'm thinking that the rectangle would be better for a wine bottle and the round for people.

thanks again,
'
bob
aka jzzmusician
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:37 AM   #4

Think big...I was talking about rectangles around 60-80" long...perfect for people as it throws a long, thinner light. Of course you can use something smaller for product shots. I prefer large octagon boxes or a 60" white umbrella for portrait fill light...the larger the light source, the better the diffusion & softer the light.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:10 PM   #5

thanks again. I'm gonna start looking now.

It's nice to know that once in a while "bigger really is better." (sorry, i couldn't resist)

bob
aka jzzmusician
Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:14 PM   #6

Kalypso,

Okay, I'm looking. I've narrowed it down to a couple. One has optional grids to go on front of the softbox. Naturally, their literature supports the use of grids.

What do you think?

thanks again,

bob
aka jzzmusician

Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:33 PM   #7

Grids are grate...they help direct and focus the light more accurately.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:42 PM   #8

Grids are great for Hair lights. Directional light for products, or any light you want to be harsh and directed. I don't ever use a grid on my subject. I perfer large umbrellas or My Bowens "Soft lite Reflectors." I have a large softbox that works very well when I set up at home. Grids or snoots are only used for hair lights when needed.

Ronnie,
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote