Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:45 PM   #1

Hey all, I'm on a low budget, but I'd like to get a home studio kit. I see alot of kits on [email protected] But I wanted to know that a good (CHEAP) beginner kit that you all might recommend?

Thanks for any help.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2007, 6:43 AM   #2

I bought my 3 light kit from eBay, and I'm perfectly happy with it. I got it from an outfit called Steve Kaeser Backgrounds. My setup included 3 - 160 W/S rated lights (Plenty powerful enough for me), a carrying case, and several accessories like several gels, a barn door and a honeycomb. I paid somewhere around $350 including S&H.

The above mentioned eBayer also has a web site, where he sells the same kits he sells on eBay for about the same price. Here's a link to a kit that's similar to the kit I bought from eBay: http://store01.prostores.com/servlet.../Detail?no=415The only difference is this kit contains a boom. Actually, after looking some more, here's the kit I purchased from eBay: http://store01.prostores.com/servlet.../Detail?no=282

Hope this helps; if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:59 PM   #3

Hi Matthew,

Do not forget to add A "FLASH METER" on to your budget.

Ronnie.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:02 PM   #4

I've bought "stuff" on eBay from Photography-Stuffs http://stores.ebay.com/Photography-stuffs

Not any of their lighting, but have heard from others they liked what they received.
I was very happy with the things I got from them.

I recommend Alienbees as a starter kit. They are very reilable and have a US manfacturer behind them (They are made in Nashville, Tennesse) that has a very good reputation and warantie.
Most of the cheep eBay stuff is made off-shore.
http://alienbees.com/

Ronnie is right don't forget a flash meter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:39 PM   #5

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Matthew,

Ronnie.
I think this was good advice when you were wasting film & $$$ on developing film with improper exposures. I don't see this as a necessary expense with digital (a decent digicam can meter & give you instant feedback via the Histogram). What better tool, than your own cameras meter to tell you what the exposure should be? (Some over or under expose in real life usage).
Old Jan 19, 2007, 7:16 AM   #6

Well,

I can just see a room full of people to photograph waiting while a photographer plays with the graph on the camera before taking a picture. Oh! a different color hair or clothingon the second subject so lets take another 5 min or so to try the histogram approach again and hope it works.:angry:

Get a "FLASH METER"

A flash meter will tell you the EXACTlight falling on the subject. (INCIDENT LIGHT)

The camerahistogram only tells you the light falling on the sensor (reflective Light) after a picture is takenand canbe used if you have enough time to fool around and do a dozen pictures or so. Of course when changing subjects you have to start over again. Add a person or remove a person you can just start over again.Using a flash meter you set up your lights and as long as you do not move the camera or lights you can shoot all day and always have perfect exposure.

When using your studio strobelights your camera will be set to manual. TTL does not work at all. A flash meter will allow you to set your lights to your camera settings in a fast and professional way without any guesswork at all.

Ronnie

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:23 AM   #7

Setting up a professional studio is one thing, but to the casual user that wants to try portrait photography without busting his savings, this is just an unnecessary expense. If someone buys studio flashes & can't figure out how to meter a subject in 2-3 shots, they probably do need a light meter.

My camera has a meter that works perfectly, I think I'll use it instead.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:56 AM   #8

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Matthew,

Ronnie.
I think this was good advice when you were wasting film & $$$ on developing film with improper exposures. I don't see this as a necessary expense with digital (a decent digicam can meter & give you instant feedback via the Histogram). What better tool, than your own cameras meter to tell you what the exposure should be? (Some over or under expose in real life usage).
I agree. I bought a flash meter and I hardly use it. It takes too long to use. I can quickly take a picture and adjust my strobes to where they need to be. Of course, most of my subjects don't mind if I take a few shots of them.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:17 PM   #9

OhOh this could become another one of those religious topics
like the shoot raw vs jpg camps, or the neverending "use a UV filter to protect your lens" vs "never use a UV filter to cheapen your lens" camps :G

Myself I think both sides are right here, starting out and wanting to keep costs down the histogram works fine if you have the time.

Go pro-ish and you can't live without one, faster and definitly more "pro" looking that shoot and guess/adjust method.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:33 PM   #10

Nah..........the thread's too short & Nazis & Hitler hasn't been mentioned yet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law