Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:03 PM   #1

I need help with this - I have a D100 and I have to shoot some photos where the only light is going to be (LOTS OF) fluorescent lights and white walls - what I want to know is do I set the wb to fluorescent (-/+) and do I need to use the flash at all? I'm asking because I don't want to spend a lot of time try to get the setting right.

So if anyone can give me a little advice I will be forever grateful!!! :|
Mr. Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:43 AM   #2

I just set my WB to auto and used a Nikon SB28-DX speedlight set to TTL. I always set My camera (Nikon D100)to aperture preferred and shoot at 1/60th at F5.6, I always just set my ISO higher if needed. "Raw setting" if possible. Fine jpg if a lot of shots at fast pace to avoid waiting for buffer space.

I do use photoshop CS2 to adjust the color "etc" if needed. Usually always needs some tweaking. I never had much luck trying to use the fluorescent setting on the camera.

I now use a D200 & Sb-800but still use the same technique.

Ronnie

Picture being viewed is at my church in a very small room that is full of fluorescent lights. The 5 X 7 prints came out perfect.

Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 7:00 PM   #3

Thanks ronnie that is just want I'll be doing - I'll be shooting at church and the room is about the same size. I just didn't want to go there and be doing a lot of fumbling with my camera's setting... Thanks for the info
Mr. Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:27 PM   #4

Name what's wrong with this picture. If you can name 5 things, you are better than you thought........
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:37 AM   #5

Well,

Since I had to do 44 Groups in less then an hour I did not have the time to fine tune and babysit the ones in the back you can't see.( Each group is in a different location)It was One photo of each group. The clutter bothers Me and The finished photo had to be 5X7 so it is not actually cropped the way I would like it. It was not a paid job and I was asked to do the imposable but the church gave each life group member a photograph. (Printed by Sam's Club) No matter how bad Kalypso thinks the picture stinks He should know everybody really liked having a picture of their Sunday School Class. When doing these projects like this for the Church there are people that just don't want to cooperate so You just gotta work around them. Of course this picture is not perfect but it is still better then no picture at all.

I only posted it to show Mr. Bounce the technique I used to get the colors correct in my final image.

If I was getting paid to do this I would not have accepted the project at all because not enough time was given to do the quality photographs I like doing.

One minuite, One picture and move to the next room. Of course it will have different lighting in every room and outside was still different lighting.

Ronnie

PS: There are probably more then five things wrong with this picture.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:42 AM   #6

I don't think it stinks. It was an exercise in critical thinking....I do the same for my own images too.