Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Mar 17, 2007, 5:18 PM   #1

Howdy.

Actually it's their 952 AF/Can Model

Anybody have any experience with this Speedlight? Price ($259 with discount) sounds almost too good to be true. I've been searching for reviews but haven't been able to find any.

????

:?:
peterpica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2007, 5:49 PM   #2
Administrator

Nope (don't know anything about them).

I'd question how much of a good deal that is though (even if you can make it work and even if it has any features you may miss like high speed sync).

I see them listed for *Much Less* at a couple of different vendors. These guys appear to have best price from a "trusted store".

Sakar 952AF/CAN for $120 at Digital Foto Club

Note that this flash also seems to be sold under the Digital Concepts brand (Amazon has it for $131.38 including free shipping).

Sakar 952AF/CAN price search

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 5:55 PM   #3

Thanks for heads-up

Express Camera charged me $259 (and that with an alleged $75.00 discount off an already-discounted price!

Back it goes. Am going with a Canon 430 EX.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 6:32 PM   #4
Administrator

peterpica wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for heads-up

Express Camera charged me $259 (and that with an alleged $75.00 discount off an already-discounted price!

Back it goes. Am going with a Canon 430 EX.

Thanks again.
You probably paid a *lot* more for any other stuff you got from them, too (and if you bought a camera from them, I'd be suspect that's it's gray market (not intended for sale in the U.S. with no U.S. warranty from the manufacturer). Did you compare the prices on batteries, memory cards, shipping, insurance, etc (and did they sell you the outrageously priced extended warranty)?

That's the scam (you can't buy just the camera for the advertised price without a catch). They have to make the money somewhere and the low camera price brings in the buyers that don't check the prices for the outrageously priced add-ons.

Always check customer reviews at
http://www.resellerratings.com for any vendor you consider. There are a lot of scam artists around with very nice loooking web sites (and most are located in Brooklyn, where they seem to be able to get away with it).

If they have a small number of reviews, I'd avoid them (as the scammers start up web sites with new names often and have been know to try and pad their own ratings with glowing reviews).

Stick with better known reputable vendors like B&H.

As for your vendor, here's a press release on a lawsuit for fraud filed against Save Here Distribution (a.k.a., expresscameras.com, geniuscameras.com, trustedcamera.com, trustedphoto.com, luckydigital8.com, clearviewcamera.com, bluestripephoto.com and hopecamera.com).

http://www.nj.gov/oag/ca/press/electronics.htm

You'll find some customer reviews here:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Express_Cameras

Suggested Reading:

How to buy a Digital Camera without being robbed

Note that the vendor I pointed you to (Digital Foto Club) for the Sakar at $120 is located in Brooklyn (not a good place to buy from, since it's the scam artist capital of the U.S. for digital camera sales).

But, they seem to be a "step above" most of the other dealers there. They do sell both gray market and U.S. gear. But, they mark the grey market stuff as import (versus deceiving listings that claim a product has a U.S. warranty which may be a store warranty versus manufacturer's warranty). I've seen good reports about them from others.

Old Mar 17, 2007, 6:54 PM   #5

WOW! My camera came with a Canon warranty and I've already registered it.

The other stuff... speedlight and a card reader are going back as they are pure junk.

I've a mind to return two of the Sigma lenses they sold me too, although they seem to be pretty good so far.

They got me on another thing... on the first purchase, they told me there was no freight charge, but they added on about $85.00 (including insurance so they say).

I've a mind to send back everything although I really like the camera (Canon XTi).
Old Mar 17, 2007, 7:02 PM   #6
Administrator

They're bad news (lots of bad reviews from customers, and you'll find a number of forum posts here mentiong them, too).

Actually getting an RMA to return the stuff and actually getting credited for it may be a battle (not to mention the high restocking fees they'll probably try to hit you with).

Good Luck if you go that route.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 7:13 PM   #7
Administrator

P.S. -- Note the problem reported in this thread, and if you look a couple of posts down, you'll see the vendor:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=58

Old Mar 17, 2007, 10:29 PM   #8

I've already notified my CC company. Haven't paid a dime on it yet; Jason, their supervisor wizard told me I could return the sigma lenses and other items I'm not happy with, so that's what I'm banking on.

If he gives me a hard time, I'll just blow the whistle and get in line like tons of others have obviously done.

Besides... how can they charge restocking fees on defective goods?

That's going to be interesting to hear what Jason says on that one.