Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Apr 3, 2007, 12:27 PM   #1

On this eBay kit for a starter lighting setup.
Not doing anything special, just some family portrait type stuff and some still life type of shots.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PHOTOGRAPHY-...QQcmdZViewItem
garjowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2007, 3:21 PM   #2

I bought my home studio setup from eBay, from this supplier eBay, and I'm very happy with the setup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-LIGHT-480-W-S-...QQcmdZViewItem

Realize the setup you're looking at are called 'hot lights", not strobes. The ones I've listed are strobes, with modelling lights (There is some light that's present prior to firing the stroes). Be careful concerning hot lights, they're called hot lights for a reason. Search for hot lights witin this forum, and you'll ifnd MANY topics concerning the pros and cons of hot lights versus strobes.

Other people are going to chime in and tell you to get an Alien Bees strobe setup, and if you can afford it, that would probably be the way to go.

But, for me, I just couldn't justify the cost of Alien Bees, a back ground stand, 3 different backdrops, soft umbrellas, remote flash trigger, PhotoShop Elements and PhotoShop Premiere bundle, and a new Nikon D80. So, I "skimped" on the studio lights. I've been very pleased with them. I had to return one of the strobes, and it was replaced very quickly, without a problem at all.

I've posted some pics I've taken with my setup before. If you would like to see a sample pic, let me know, and I can EMail it to you, or post it here again.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 4:07 PM   #3

As already stated, what you are looking at are hot lights, not strobes, and only 1200W (Total) at that.

1200W Total is really not very much for still photography, although it would depend a lot on what you are shooting. I use about 6000W of quartz lights when I shoot, although, that's for video. Yet I find that not enough. I plan to add another 5000W later this summer.

For people photography (portraits, etc), strobes are MUCH better and do not wilt the subjects.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 8:39 AM   #4

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
... I plan to add another 5000W later this summer. ...
Hot would be the right way to describe that set-up: it will use more power than most electric ovens. With a 120 volt mains power 5000W will be a draw of 42 amps - more than any two normal household circuit will provide.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 4:21 PM   #5

It's 220V here in Thailand. I usually have the AC on full blast - LOL.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 5:36 PM   #6

Well, after reading more and more... I may just go with some inexpensive flash lighting...

I was looking at this, how does it look to you guys?
Remember, I am just gonna use it in one of my rooms to play and do some family stuff...

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-studio-flash-s...QQcmdZViewItem

I tried the homedepot work light route and dang, those things are BRIGHT!
I think they are going back, Or else make some type of difusser... I couldn't find much info on using those as main lights other than people use them and like them for starting out.
I know I don't know anything really about "studio lighting" but I can't see these working even with diffusion... And yes, THEY ARE HOT... LOL!!!

Still yearnin' and learnin'
Gary
garjowan is offline   Reply With Quote