Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Apr 24, 2007, 2:56 PM   #1

Hi,

I took some outdoor photos of my brother and his wife a few weeks ago and had a question about the lighting. In the photo below, should I have used a reflector to brighten their faces? If so, wherewould you place it and what color (white)? If not, what should I have done?

Any feedback is appreciated as I'm trying to learn.

Angela

afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2007, 4:57 PM   #2

Seeing how overcast it was, I would have used a gold reflector (the larger the better) placed above my left shoulder & about 4 ft away (yes, you would have needed an assistant). Why gold? Gold would have warmed the light slightly, while silver would have given them a bluish tint, with that degree of cloudiness & white would not have been reflective enough (unless it was very close to them).
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:57 AM   #3

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
Seeing how overcast it was, I would have used a gold reflector (the larger the better) placed above my left shoulder & about 4 ft away (yes, you would have needed an assistant). Why gold? Gold would have warmed the light slightly, while silver would have given them a bluish tint, with that degree of cloudiness & white would not have been reflective enough (unless it was very close to them).
Thanks for your reply Kalypso. Your information is always explained clearly and extremely helpful.
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:48 AM   #4

I understand why you wanted the tree there but having half of him in front of it and 1/2 not is a little distracting. If you can do it again sometime think about:

1. Taking the pics later in the day. I know that it was overcast at that time but you may have had a different color b/g.

2. Chose your b/g wisely. If the back view is important then by all means use it, but make sure that the person looking at the pic will know that. If not then a b/g that is less busy and blurred out may work better.

3. Try using your flash. By doing this you will get highlights in the eyes (making them look alive). I know what you are saying; "why use a flash when I have enough light to start with?". All I can say is try it.
wass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 8:00 PM   #5

I would have used just enough flash to fill the eye's. A reflector would only work if you had light to reflect. Yep,slight fill flash was what was needed.

Ronnie,
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 10:32 PM   #6

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
I would have used just enough flash to fill the eye's. A reflector would only work if you had light to reflect. Yep,slight fill flash was what was needed.

Ronnie,
How stupid of me! Of course, a reflector won't work on a cloudy day (except I have & it does). Both options would work.
Old May 12, 2007, 1:02 PM   #7

A reflector may have lightened up the subjects but a slight fill flash was still needed to liven up the racoon eyes.

A gold reflector and slight fill flash combo and the photograph would be much better.I would also not have tham that close to the tree.

Ronnie

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote