Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old May 2, 2007, 7:11 AM   #1

I have a Canon Rebel XT, Tamron 17-50mm. I mostly take pictures of my family, both hand held and Tripod. I know lighting is crucial, and indoors fill flash is requirement most of the time.

I would like to improve the lighting in my indoor photos. At this point I would like to add lighting to my equipment though I do not wish to spend too much and for now would like to limit myself to either a stand alone flash or or some sort of Strobe/Umbrella thing.

I know a flash is more verstile to the extent that it can be taken elsewhere more easily, allows for some what more improptu shooting. I guess my question is how much improvement will a single additional light soruce provide over the built in flash and where should I put the money for now, an external flash or a Strobe/Umbrella thing.

While you are at it any recomendations for the flash or Strobe/Umbrella would be grealy appreciated. I guess I need to provide an aproximte budget. I was thinking of somwhere around $200. I do not know if that is a reasonable number or many times that needs to be spent.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2007, 12:05 PM   #2
NHL

How about passive devices like reflectors...

-> They can be used to re-direct some of the light and do not cost as much if you can't afford more than 1 strobe
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 8:19 PM   #3

Thank you yes I have been reading Do you have any favorites to couple with Simga 500 DG super.

I have seen various diffusers, clip on reflectors, Unmrellas, and those that justsay that most of the time your better of firing the flash at 45-60 deg angle over one shoulder or the other.
Old May 6, 2007, 8:31 PM   #4

These people make lots of stuff

http://www.photoflex.com/Photoflex_Products/index.html

But frankly a piece of foamcore and a clamp will do a great job for just a few bucks Enless you want a gold reflector to warm things up
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 10:59 PM   #5

Or you can use this setup:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lla_Mount.html

Add a couple of used Vivitar 285HV's or Sunpack Flash thyristor units, an Interfit infrared trigger + a few Wein Peanuts & you'll have a totally wireless flash kit. (I often use one of these when shooting indoors but without plug-in power).
Old May 13, 2007, 10:51 PM   #6

I have been leaning towards an Alien Bee 400 or 800 and their Bolly box poor persons Softbox and stand. Would I be better of with someone else standa nd diffusion equipment?
Old May 14, 2007, 12:24 AM   #7

anthlover wrote:
Quote:
I have been leaning towards an Alien Bee 400 or 800 and their Bolly box poor persons Softbox and stand. Would I be better of with someone else standa nd diffusion equipment?
You can't go wrong with Alien Bees.......I would get the 800WS unit (you can always turn the power down, but you can't make a 400 brighter). You might want to check out their Ring-Flash too......
Old May 14, 2007, 6:37 PM   #8

Thank you. For Portrait am I better off with their Bolly Box (Poor persons softbox) or their umbrellas? Or Am I better of choosing thier flash with someone elses acessories.
Old May 15, 2007, 10:55 PM   #9

The "Brolly Boxes" are nice, but I would rather have a larger light diffuser (like their 60" silver/white reversible umbrella). You can make it act much like the Brolly Box plus it's much more versatile & offers a larger light source.
Old May 16, 2007, 11:39 PM   #10

Brolly's top out at 48. Their shoot through Umbrellas @ 60.

Thanx