Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old May 19, 2007, 12:49 PM   #11

With that white(ish) ceiling I'd suggest blasting a diffused light source off it. You'll have to do a test to dial in the white balance, but that can be done in the empty room beforehand. White ceilings are great for this purpose so you can bounce it rather than firing directly at the subject(s). Boost the brightness post-process if you need to but bouncing should distribute the light more evenly without the hot spots.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 5:33 AM   #12

WowI just read about this new lightsphere that looks like it might be just the thing you need for this job.

Check this out

http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html

If this thing does what it shows in the video and webpage then this could change the way we all take pics and obsulete the studio lights

Has any of you tried this little gadget?

If so how did it do?

IS it worth the $$?

TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 2:20 AM   #13

Nifty little device. It might not solve the large fill problem but it does look to be nice and even.

You will be more at the mercy of the surround walls color too. Most of the light is reflected so if the walls are green then the reflected light will be greenish.

The bulk of the light hits the roof so if it is a darker color it will lower the color temp of the flash.

It is possible the have the reflected light be many different colors.( wood paneling on a wall) This might look better some times but might cause trouble too.

I'mthinking a plastic cup on a normal flash.

ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 1:50 PM   #14

Hi - i did it!

Worked out quite well - 35 people turned up

What do you think?

Mark

:-)
Attached Images

greenphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 3:57 PM   #15

Hi Mark,

I think you did a nice job. Very little correction needed. How do the people like the results? What size prints are they wanting? Keep us informed.

Ronnie
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 2:55 AM   #16

Hi

One annoying thing is thatI have 2 TFT,s one Dell 19"and one HP 18". On the HP my photo looks too dark and the processed one you did below looks fine.

However on my Dell, my one looks nice and bright and your one looks over exposed.

I can't afford to be getting one of those little limpet style things to measure my screen - especially as they are at work... but how can I make sure what I see is correct? (And I suppose the viewer would need the same...)

Mark
:?

greenphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 6:36 AM   #17

Hi Mark,

If you are not printing the pictures yourself you should have no problems with the file at all getting good prints from Walmart or any other place. They will color correct the photographs and print them just fine. Just be sure they do not crop the people off of the end. You may have to size them and give them a CD or DVD of the sized picture.

The picture I corrected is just perfect on my HPCRT screen. I don't think it could be any better. You did a nice job.

Ronnie
Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:55 PM   #18
Administrator

I'm going to have to disagree here.

I think the edit does look overexposed (to the point of losing detail in some the white shirts in front.

I also see a strong color cast (mostly blue from what I can measure with an eyedropper on some of the white shirts on the sides) and posterization (that you'll see times get when using curves or moving levels too much with an 8 bit image).

Look at the area of the floor on one side in front of them with stark color changes that were not visible in the original. A blue cast is also visible some of the white shirts and white poles in the edited version.

Now, the original was little underexposed, and the color was also slightly warm.

But, somewhere in between the two would be my preference. I wouldn't want all attention being drawn to the bright shirts and color casts.

Of course, this was a quick edit using a small jpeg, and a larger image would work better. I just wouldn't go quite that far with an edit.

I'd probably post the image in the Extreme Makeover Forum so you can get some more opinions and sample edits from others before deciding what looks best.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:14 AM   #19

Not to start a new thread but mpix.com does very good work. There are of course many places to go.

I would also agree that you need a happy medium between the Orignal and the proposed correction. You took raw shots? Much better to correct from those you can adjust more subtly white balance etc. With a JPG so much data is thrown away that corrections tend to be extreme?

The first image you posted is a smidge dark and the most obvious thing about the corrected one is that white shirts are so bright almost to the point of distraction.

Monitor wise The Color pucks you mention for montiors tend to only need to be used once. Perhpas you can borrow one from a friend. At the very least adjust the two monitors brightness and contrast to an agreeing refrence standard perhaps a photo that has been printed or take a number of pics on a memory stick to an Apple store or someplace with large high quality monitors or some combination of both.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 2:09 PM   #20

I was not really trying to make this photo perfect because at the very low resolution on this site is not the optimum quality to work with. I'm betting that the original file is a great photograph to work with. Mark did a very good job using the equipment he has and all I'm saying is that He will have excellent prints and for Him to watch that the people on the sides are not going to be cropped out of the photograph.

On my monitor the picture is not blown out but it is not sharp enough to read the logos on the T-shirts. Putting the pictures on the Cretique section is always a good idea. The picture was easily color corrected but with limited resolution the sharpness suffers.

Ronnie