Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old May 15, 2007, 10:06 AM   #1

Attatched to this post is a photo of the location... somehow I need to portray 'One Company - One Brand' and 'Show your Spirit' in a photo.

I want to get about 50 people to wear thier company branded -shirts and fill the reception area. I currently have a Pentax *stD L2 and a Centon FG105D flash that can be slave fired when it see's another flash go off.

Can you advise on what lightingI would need if any so that I don't over expose the foreground while still keeping the lighting mood richness of the reception area?

Oh, and I don't have funds to go out and buy lots of extra kit, I may be able to borrow some lighting plus stands but would need to use someone else's Canon camera I think so the attachments work...

Thanks in advance!

Mark

f/4
1/45 sec
ISO400
18mm

greenphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2007, 10:08 PM   #2

Good luck! From what I can tell you will need many strobes, gels, booms and assistants in order to pull even lighting over 50ppl + capture the room lighting too......
Old May 16, 2007, 11:04 PM   #3

I agree with the last post that you need lots of strobes etc. You maybe able to get a slavable photo with your flash and working with exposure settings and ISO speed. If this is going to be a professional photo and published you'll need to figure out how to get a budget to get the lighting you will need.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 10:19 AM   #4

Hi Mark,

I really don't see much of a problem. The room has enough light as it is. I would get on a ladder and shoot down on the room and bump my ISO up to either 800 or 1000 @ F4 with 1/60th shutter speed. (Set at manual)

Use the top of the ladder as a tripod and do a bunch of shots with no flash.

then do abunch with on camera flash set at least one stop under with the wide setting on the flash head. The flash will brighten up eyes on the people in the front without overpowering the ambiant light.

You can process and brighten the picture if you need to using CS2 or any good processor.

Show us the picture when you have completed the photograph.

I messed with your picture to see what needed to be done. I will not use it for anything.

Ronnie
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 2:34 PM   #5

Thanks for your all t he advice... I should think a ladder will be ok, and maybe I'll put diffuse my on-camera flash, and use a secondary slave flash sonsor triggered.

Bit worried about actually taking the photo as I'll only get about 5 mins of time to get it right... - It's a busy reception!

Mark

greenphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 7:28 PM   #6

If you try to use the flash built into the camera and another flash you WILL have a hot spot. As long as they will turn the house lights on for your photo all you need is the flash attached to the hot shoe on your camera and -1stop of flash will do the job. If you are putting a diffuser over the flash head you can probably use it without the minus 1stop.( Depending on what you are using for a diffuser) You really only need enough flash to brighten up the eyes and nothing else.

Ronnie

PS: Don't think about how busy the room will be, Just have your ladder set up early, Write a check list to go through with camera settings etc. you are going to useand make sure the camera is very steady. (nobody near the ladder leaning on it while your trying to shoot.) You will be fine. "Remember this"nobody ever gives a photographer enough time so, As the boy scouts always say: "BE Preparred."

Old May 17, 2007, 8:16 PM   #7

Good idea, except he said he wanted to "not over expose the foreground while still keeping the lighting mood richness of the reception area"? Your solution does not preserve the "lighting mood".

Ronnie, for some reason you seem to jump on any thread I reply to...do you have a problem with me personally, or just my posts? Also, posting your own example photos would do a great deal to reinforce your credibility regrding your advice.
Old May 18, 2007, 12:07 AM   #8

Hi Kalypso,

Of course I like you. I do learn some things from you. BUT Mark said:

"Can you advise on what lightingI would need if any so that I don't over expose the foreground while still keeping the lighting mood richness of the reception area?"

He also said:

"Oh, and I don't have funds to go out and buy lots of extra kit, I may be able to borrow some lighting plus stands but would need to use someone else's Canon camera I think so the attachments work..."

Here is a reject photo I did of a wedding party dancing in a very ugly hall and all Fluorescent lights. The next shot was done standing on a chair and it went in the album so I can't really pass it around without permission. The Bride and groom were closer in the center so I could get a nice 8X10 .This will give you an idea of what can be done using one on camera flash. I do use a bracket to get the flash 8 inches over the lens. I do get paid a lot and only use word of mouth to get my next jobs. I pass on as many jobs as I get so I'm not that bad.

I Thought this was a forum to let us all toss around ideas and information. I don't want to step on your toes so I will probably just read and keep out of your way.

Ronnie,

Attached Images

Old May 18, 2007, 1:24 PM   #9

Ronnie, I don't want you to quit posting (much of your information is very helpful)! Differences in opinion are not a bad thing....I was just curious.
Old May 18, 2007, 2:18 PM   #10

Hi Kalypso,

As we both know. Photography is an ART form and not a science. There are many ways to get results and I always found I can learn something new or how to do a photograph a different and easier way. This is the absolute best forum for learning new techniques as well as information on programs and new products. I value the information you render and you are very good with your advice. I do not mean to even think of your input as wrong or bad advice. I just want some of our fellow members to have more then one way of doing the assignment. I have been doing photographs for over thirty years and I'm still in the learning stage myself. It was film, now all digital for me. I still scan film or old photographsfor people to create DVD slide shows. I'm really still learning that phase as I'm doing it. I'm really sorry if I offended you in any way.:love:

Ronnie