Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Aug 27, 2007, 4:15 PM   #1

Hey there,

After my buying frenzy the last couple of months i thought it would be nice to buy something that could help in making some money instead of spending it.
So i decided to buy a studio flash set for some portrait and 1/2 photos.

I was thinking of buying the Falcon Eyes ss-200f. A 200w/s set with 2 lights, 2 softboxes, 2 tripods, and a sync cable. Sounds like a nice deal for 250,- euros.
But i need that final push to go and buy the set. I was thinking some examples might do the trick, so does anybody use Falcon Eyes flashes and can you show me some shots with it? Or some other shots with similar strobes.

It would be great if someone could give me some information about how powerfull 200w/s really is.

Thanks in advance,

chris
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2007, 8:19 AM   #2

Well, I'll chime in with SOME help (I hope).

I'm not familiar with Falcon Eyes you mentioned, so my response will relate to the 200 w/s power rating. No, it's not a lot of power. I purchased a system a year or so off eBay, and they're rated at 160 w/s (They're Britek, FYI). I'm able to get good shots (Check my profile for a link to our web site if you're interested inseeing pics taken with our setup), but I would like to have more power. I'm forced sometimes to increase the ISO to get an acceptable depth of field for some pictures. Or, the DOF suffers. Or, shutter speed suffers. Anyway, MORE POWER would be nice.

We're looking at getting Alien Bees 1600's in the near future, but we'll keep the current setup we have and use them as kicker lights, hair lights, or whatever.

Your setup would probably be a good setup for learning, but if you want to expand your horizons, or expand into professional photogaphy, you'll eventually need more power.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:32 AM   #3

Hey thanks for the reply.
For now i'll be just making 1/2 and portrait shots i think, and experiment a bit, so 200ws should be just enough.
Do you know if its possible to replace the flashtube with a stronger one? Or does the power depend on the flash head?

Nice shots in the gallery btw.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 12:57 PM   #4

On my inexpensive setup, I can only change the modelling lights, not the flash tube. My flash heads are rated for over 8,00 flashes, I believe. And, even if I could change the flash tube, I wouldn't. I'm sure the flash tube and the internal power that activates the flash work together, and changing one or the other would certainly lead to problems.

PS: Thanks for the kind words about our web site.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 2:36 PM   #5

K too bad well the set is being delivered tomorrow. I'll post some test shots.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 11:20 AM   #6

The quality of the stands suck.
But the flashhead is actually quite good. Here's a little shot i took (low power).

Attached Images