Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:34 PM   #1

Hi we will be shooting a wedding on Thanksgiving day for friends and I was wondering how much of a improvement in photos does the SB600 add? My camera is a Nikon D40x. Please any info would help
BoosAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:59 PM   #2

BoosAngel wrote:
Quote:
Hi we will be shooting a wedding on Thanksgiving day for friends and I was wondering how much of a improvement in photos does the SB600 add? My camera is a Nikon D40x. Please any info would help
Are you talking about 1-SB600 or more? Also, are you planning on light-modifiers or just shooting hard light? If you asked me, I would say to spend the bucks on at least a 3-light setup (plus stands, scrims, flags, umbrellas, soft boxes & other light modifiers).

You will also need to learn how each lighting element works before you start shooting important things like weddings! For instance, one Playboy shoot uses around 40-50 lights...you can do somehing very similar using 3 lights & reflectors if you understand how lighting works.

You can't become a wedding photographer in one day.....if you could, everybody would be dong it!!
Old Oct 6, 2007, 12:22 AM   #3

I did wedding photography for years and would never even think of leaving the house without at least one flash. The inside of most buildings do not have enough light to allow you to use the camera settings required to capture the shots you'll be taking. As for using more than one flash or light source, sure the more the better but not always possible. For one thing a lot of shots taken either you or the subject will be moving and that makes using a flash very handy. As you may find moving tri-pods and lights around is not that easy and they get in the way of the people watching (something that should never be done) the wedding. If you can get two extra lights sources fortaking the formal shotsgreat, set them up and shoot away. If studio lights are out of your budget then use a flash that you can bounce off a card thatalso hasa fill flash and you'll do all right. But remember to practice shooting with the new toys before the realbig day.

Good Luck,

Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote