Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Nov 11, 2007, 3:54 PM   #11
Administrator

I just don't see that as being "blurry". Change the sharpness setting in the camera if you're prefer it to be sharper without any post processing. Many newer cameras are using more conservative sharpening by default now. In fact, I think a *lot* of cameras have an overprocessed look with *too* much sharpening being applied. But, you can control that kind of thing via a camera setting. ;-)

Here it is with very light sharpening:
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 3:59 PM   #12

Thanks! I will play with the camera more. I do not like having to change all the settings every time I take a picture though or having to do all this editing when I take pictures. I had thought the automatic settings would take a lot better pics. That was one of the things I found appealing about the camera that it had automatic settings so I would not have to alter every time I wanted to take pictures. Hmmmmm.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!
Jenny
jvogel71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 4:04 PM   #13
Administrator

The manufacturers can never please everyone. ;-)

One complaint you here a lot of is that images look "overprocessed" (contrast, sharpness, saturation and more). But, when manufacturers use less processing, then others think their images look soft and flat.

You can always sharpen an image more later. But, if you apply too much in the camera, it can destroy real detail that you won't be able to get back. So, I'm seeing a trend towards more conservative image processing with some models. That's a good thing from my perspective (giving you more leeway to sharpen with more sophisticated tools later).

But, some users want a sharper looking photo "straight from the camera". That's why you have settings for that type of thing.

If you'd prefer ISO 100 or 200, just use P mode and set it that way. Ditto for sharpness (increase it from defaults if you think the images look too soft using defaults). IOW, just find a set of settings that give you the look you like.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote