Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Dec 14, 2007, 6:44 AM   #11
Administrator

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
The flashes you pictured look just like my old 283, only the bounce attachment it came with was about 4 to 5 times larger. Not sure if the larger size makes a difference but it did work well back in its' day. I did charge the 283 up and fired off a few test flashes (off the camera) and it seems to be working well.
I'm not Henry, but, the Vivitar 285HV (the successor to 283) is still a popular model today. I don't know if it's still being made or not. But, you can find them on dealer shelves:

Vitar 285HV at B&H for $89.95

Quote:
The flashes you pictured look just like my old 283, only the bounce attachment it came with was about 4 to 5 times larger. Not sure if the larger size makes a difference but it did work well back in its' day
Vivitar referred to it as the "Soft Light / Bounce Diffuser Kit". It was an optional accessory. I bought one some years back. The same kit will work on the 273 or 283 (and I think it will work on the 285 series, too).

Here's a completed Ebay listing with a photo of one. Scroll down and you'll see a photo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220176389672

I think it's the Vivitar BD-2, but I'm not absolutely positive. B&H has one in stock used now for $10. But, I don't see any photos in the listing:

Vivitar BD-2 Bounce Diffuser Kit

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 11:11 AM   #12

Quote:
The flashes you pictured look just like my old 283, only the bounce attachment it came with was about 4 to 5 times larger. Not sure if the larger size makes a difference
Size does make a difference. One larger bounce gadget you might find useful is the Lumiquest MidiBounce:

I've used one on both a Vivitar 283 and on the somewhat larger Metx 60CT1

henryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 11:33 AM   #13
Administrator

The "A better bounce card" video from Peter Gregg is informative on how some of the popular light modifiers like these work. You'll see a link to it in this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=53

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 6:45 PM   #14

Henryp and JimC,

Both suggestion are close to what I was looking to buy or build. Here is a picture of what I use to work with way, way back. The attachment for the flash came with the 283 when it was purchased.

Thanks,

Craig

Attached Images

Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:57 AM   #15

It's worth realizing that none of the suggestions made are really bounce flash. They diffuse the light, which makes a better appearance than a bald flash, but they are more artificial to my eye than bounce. What bouce does is make the light come down from above the subject , creating natural-looking shadows on faces. These "deflectors" keep the flash from creating harsh shadows, but lack the down-from-above shadows of more natural light. To my eye, they make the illumination look way too uniform, like a portrait from your local department store "photograher." If the ceiling is too high or dark wood or ..., diffusers of some sort are as good as you're going to do, but they aren't really good substitutions for bounce lighting if you can do it. Or so ISTM.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:22 AM   #16

"If the ceiling is too high or dark wood or ..., diffusers of some sort are as good as you're going to do, but they aren't really good substitutions for bounce lighting if you can do it. "

I agree with youbut they are anice tool to have around and do come in handy from time to time.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 3:50 PM   #17

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
"If the ceiling is too high or dark wood or ..., diffusers of some sort are as good as you're going to do, but they aren't really good substitutions for bounce lighting if you can do it. "

I agree with but they a nice tool to have around and do come in handy from time to time.
You don't have to bounce of just ceilings, you can bounce of the wall to either side of you, or bounce over your shoulder, or even bounce of a person standing alongside if they are wearing something light, just remember when you bounce you may get a colour cast ( of course you may know that allready )

Bob
inness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:40 PM   #18

There is also the "Demp Bounce Flash." It attaches with a velcro strap and works well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 8:35 PM   #19

inness wrote:
Quote:
You don't have to bounce of just ceilings, you can bounce of the wall to either side of you, or bounce over your shoulder, or even bounce of a person standing alongside if they are wearing something light, just remember when you bounce you may get a colour cast ( of course you may know that allready )

Bob
Bob,

True, you don't have to bounce the flash off a card attached to the flash but it sure is easier.:-)I used to use the bounce card when shooting weddings (not for all shots) because it was quick, easy and gave a nice effect to some of the shots.

Mtclimber,

Thanks for the product information, the more choices the better, I think.:?
Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:36 PM   #20

tclune wrote:
Quote:
It's worth realizing that none of the suggestions made are really bounce flash. They diffuse the light, which makes a better appearance than a bald flash, but they are more artificial to my eye than bounce. What bouce does is make the light come down from above the subject , creating natural-looking shadows on faces. These "deflectors" keep the flash from creating harsh shadows, but lack the down-from-above shadows of more natural light. To my eye, they make the illumination look way too uniform, like a portrait from your local department store "photograher." If the ceiling is too high or dark wood or ..., diffusers of some sort are as good as you're going to do, but they aren't really good substitutions for bounce lighting if you can do it. Or so ISTM.

you are correct, but you can use these diffusers to your advantage.

i use a white index card and bend it around the on camera strobe with a rubber band, the strobe is on manual on high. i use a 1/25 shutter and adjust my aperture to get the exposure i want. and it lights up the subjects with a soft light and you still get great ambient light as well. and the better bounce card video is great, i haven't really tried that yet, but i makes alot sense!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote