Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old May 27, 2008, 10:49 PM   #1

I have just set-up a small studio with only 2 bulbs of 100 watts each on the left and right of the face. The model (my daughter :-) ) told me the light is really strong in her eyes.

I see you guys talking about 800 watts... How do you deal with so much power ? Obviously the model does not get blind so what am I doing wrong ?
philgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2008, 9:21 AM   #2

Well, if you're using continuous lighting, that's different than using pwoerful strobes that have a modeling light. Usually, when I refer to our strobes (Alien Bees AB800's) I'm usually not utilizing full power. And, even when the flash is triggered, it's a very short blast. And, the modelling lights on the strobes are contained within 2 large octogon soft boxes, so they're not as bright as bare bulbs, if that's what you're utilizing. I have had a few complaints from beginner models about the modeling lights (Which are 100 watts each), but none from more experienced models. I guess theyre used to it.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 10:06 AM   #3

orprofessional models get so much light in the face theyare completely blind :G. Yes I am using bare bulbs, I will try to build some softing filters.

About this modeling light, is it done for that purpose, i.e. a few model moves would not mess up the whole light set-up ?

Thanks !
Old May 28, 2008, 10:17 AM   #4

The modelling lights are there so you can see how the shadows will fall. As you increase or decrease the power on your strobe, the modelling light will increase or decrease, as well. As I mentioned earlier, they're within the softbox light modifier, so their output is diminished.

If you want to try some do it yourself stuff, there are PLENTY of resources for building these on the internet. Do a search using different combinations of these words:

DO IT YOURSELF HOME STUDIO LIGHT MODIFIER SOFTBOX SETUP BUILD

I'm sure you're likely to find SOMETHING out there. You might want to try searching here, as well, as I believe there are some references to articles on the subject. And there's eBay, as well, as you can get some very inexpensive umbrellas to start out with. They would diffuse your light, and create a more even dispertion of the light on your model (Your daughter). I saw the other day that someone had 2 - 40" unbrellas for $20, I believe.

PS: I haven't seen any models walking around with red tipped canes, so hopefuly they aren't going blind from all of the lighting! LOL!
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 11:59 AM   #5

Thanks a lot Hugues. You seem to be much knowlegeable.

Phil