Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Oct 23, 2009, 7:36 PM   #1

Default Lighting for large group photo

Hi, I am a new photographer and have my first photo shoot for a large group (about 60-65). I went to scope out the location today and it is a small restaurant party room. I have a space picked out for the photo and have decided to leave the group standing and use a ladder to shoot above them. I have two questions, 1. How do I use a tripod if I am using a ladder? I have seen that suggested, but have no idea how I would pull that off.
2. Lighting issue. There is minimal light in the small room and I wanted to just shoot with my flash that attaches to my hot shoe on my camera.

Is that type of lighting going to be ok or do I need to pull out some bigger equipment (which I would really rather not)?

Thanks!
S.
girlygrbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2009, 8:35 PM   #2
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygrbs View Post
1. How do I use a tripod if I am using a ladder? I have seen that suggested, but have no idea how I would pull that off.
You won't need a tripod if you'll be using flash...
-> The flash strobe will freeze all motion so no support will be required for the slower shutter speed as you'll need to close down the aperture for the larger depht of field to get everyone into focus

Last edited by NHL; Oct 24, 2009 at 8:49 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 8:36 PM   #3
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygrbs View Post
2. Lighting issue. There is minimal light in the small room and I wanted to just shoot with my flash that attaches to my hot shoe on my camera.

Is that type of lighting going to be ok or do I need to pull out some bigger equipment (which I would really rather not)?
I'm afraid you'll have to...
A hotshoe mounted flash will not have the adequate power to light up the entire room (after bouncing) to lightup the whole room and secondly with large group you'll be running into the 'inverse-square law' with the light falling off... at different distances from your flash
-> You'll need multiple lights and or reflectors for this kind of set up

Last edited by NHL; Oct 24, 2009 at 8:52 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 4:18 PM   #4

Also note that if you are on a ladder, you are closer to the ceiling, and the flash footprint is going to be narrower if you do use bounce flash. If you are able, with the flash you are using, select a wider angle.
If your flash is powerful enough, you may be able to get this shot without additional lighting, but I would probably want a couple slaves in this case.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote