Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:51 PM   #1

Default cant get studio lighting to work

i have a interfit exd200 studio kit & a canon 350D DSLR when i plug the sync cable into the camera via a hotshoe adapter the head flashes once then nothing happens i have also tried syncing the heads over inferred the heads work apart from the inbuilt flash pops up

is this a voltage issue?
jeverall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2009, 1:33 PM   #2
Administrator

Here's a page you may find helpful. Trigger Voltage should be 5 volts or less according to Interfit.

http://www.interfitphotographic.com/...elp%20page.php

I'd check the sync cable by shorting it to make sure the strobes fire, as described on their help page. You may also have a polarity issue (but, they only mention that being an problem with some of their older units with Canon models, and I don't know if that applies to a hotshoe adapter versus built in sync port).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:20 PM   #3

I’m not so sure what the trigger voltage is for my 350D I read "there’s no real answer"

iv got 2 sync cables both do exactly the same when i plug them in what do you mean by shorting them? If I reverse the polarity isn’t that goner break ether my heads or camera? Thanks for the Reply jacob
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:34 PM   #4
Administrator

You should keep trigger voltages lower with Canon cameras. 5 volts or less should be fine (and the Interfit strobes should be OK from what their help page says).

As for testing the sync cables, again, see the help page I referenced. Here's a quote from the pertinent section:

Quote:
Secondly you should check your sync cable by plugging it into your light and shorting the PC male connector center pin to the circular sleeve that surrounds it to confirm that the cable is functioning correctly. You can use a small metal object like a car key or similar to do this. (don't worry, no dangerous voltage is present at the P.C. sync socket end).
This should cause the flash to fire. If the flash unit fires, but won't fire from the camera, then please read on.
Some of the newer Digital cameras are sensitive to sync polarity. The sync cable that comes with the lights is center positive. Some Canon EOS; Olympus; Bronica; Minolta Si 6000, 7000, 9000, & some in the Nikon range may not fire the flash. We recommend purchasing an Infra red transmitter like the INT411. This will not only cure the issue but allows you full unrestricted movement in the studio without cables. INT411 Uses 2 x AA cell Batteries.

http://www.interfitphotographic.com/...elp%20page.php

The camera is just shorting the cable wires together to trigger a flash. But, because it's using an electronic versus mechanical contact closure, sometimes polarity can be an issue (as can trigger voltages that are too high unless you use voltage protection like a Wein Safe sync). But, trigger voltage shouldn't be a problem with the Interfit strobes. I'd make sure you can fire them by shorting the cable end together first. That will rule out a Sync Cable or Strobe issue. Then, look at other potential issues like polarity or a bad hotshoe adapter if the strobes fire that way.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:43 PM   #5

i have just tried shorting it and it fires fine
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:47 PM   #6
Administrator

P.S.

Trigger voltage is a function of the strobe (how much voltage will flow between the two connections in the sync cable, which will flow through the camera's electronics when it closes the connection to fire the strobes). You can measure it with a volt meter. With Canon models, according to most reports, it's best to use strobes with relatively low trigger voltages (under 6 volts) if you're using a hotshoe connection. According to Interfit, their strobes measure under 5 volts.

Here's a thread on the issue:

Trigger Voltage Limits with Modern Digital Cameras
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:48 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverall View Post
i have just tried shorting it and it fires fine
If you're sure your hotshoe adapter is making a good connection in your camera's hotshoe, then it's probably a polarity problem (or a bad hotshoe adapter).
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:57 PM   #8
Administrator

You may just want to get a wireless trigger and use it in your camera's hotshoe. Here's one inexpensive setup that includes a transmitter, receiver, cables, etc.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...cat=274&page=1
Old Nov 18, 2009, 3:22 PM   #9

thanks for your help i think wirless is the way to go
Old Nov 18, 2009, 3:29 PM   #10
Administrator

A number of our members have used some of the Cactus Triggers from Gadget Infinity (and they also sell them on Ebay). They're a reputable hong kong based vendor.

Their triggers seem to get mixed reviews. But, for the price, they're probably hard to beat (you'd pay a lot more for Pocket Wizards, etc.). It looks like they've got a brand new V4 series now (the one I linked to). Most users seem to have the earlier V2 or V2s type models, and it looks like the newer model has some improvements (and the newer V4 also uses AAA batteries).