Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:12 AM   #1

Default Wireless System (integration?)

Here is a list of my equipment, my goal is integration of my flash units, You will notice I lack any remote or wireless options, this is really my main question as to which direction do I go with? PocketsWizards, or CyberSync, Ebay alternatives… or..?

Back to the hardware, Canon 40D,T1i, 580EX,430EX, ST-E2 a White Lightning Ultra1800 and WLUltra600
I would really like to be able to take these WL’s to some of my shoots, what would be a good receiver/transmitter system that I may be able to cross over between say my 580ex and one of the WL’s? Is there such a beast?
A majority of my shoots right now are team sports, which are indoors in gymnasiums and or in dark band rooms. I Know the U1800 will help tremendously once I get a wireless system set up

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
leroyneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:16 PM   #2
NHL

The only more powerful flash head that you can integrate with your Canon (or Nikon) are the quantum's: http://www.qtm.com/?page=3200&qmode=c

-> If you need a little more integration then try the Elinchrom Skyport or similar devices, but with studio flashes you rarely need the E-TTL function plus the larger head with overwhelm your 580/430EX anyway...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 7:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyneal View Post
You will notice I lack any remote or wireless options, this is really my main question as to which direction do I go with? PocketsWizards, or CyberSync, Ebay alternatives… or..?

what would be a good receiver/transmitter system that I may be able to cross over between say my 580ex and one of the WL’s? Is there such a beast?
While you noted the 'industry standard - but expensive' PocketWizard, and the ultra cheap (both $$ and reliability) on E-bay, a relatively new alternative in the middle ground (PocketWizard performance at moderate - but not cheap - pricing) are the relatively new Radiopoppers. http://www.radiopopper.com/

I don't use it, but like you am looking, and saw a very lengthy discussiion on another forum which would be inappropriate to link. I do think that radiopopper could improve their web site to give either Q&A or various senario solutions to help 'lighting newbies' get a better grasp of integration and/or solo use of their 2 models and configurations. The JrX Studio looks very interesting, particurally if they ever develop the RPCube for TTL operations - which the other thread noted could be made DIY for about $8
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote