Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Sep 10, 2004, 2:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Try to do a WB with a grey card and then repeat with a white card. Regardless of what your (or my) Canon manual says they both come out the same!
Which will give better results the above method using a white (or grey) card to set white balance for particular lighting situation or shooting as the article says many professionals do,shoot in RAW?

The link you provided talks about multiple different lighting sources incandescent, ambient, etc. It seems like the most accurate WB would come from a manual setting as RAW only allows you to choose between camera presets.

The main adjustment I make in RAW mode is WB but there is a big penalty in CF space, write speed, and additional processing steps. I attempted to purchase a grey/white card at Looking Glass Photos in Berkeley and was cautioned against this for digital cameras. Now, I don't understand why.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 8:48 AM   #22
NHL

Only Jpeg and Tiff images are affected by WB because they are processed in the camera. RAW does not take WB balance into account, but this WB balance info is passed along to the computer when you actually process your image on the PC (and where you can change the WB again)!

The neat thing about your DRebel is, unlike other cameras, you can take reference picture(s) of both your "white" and "gray" cards and recalled them independently during the WB calibration. Either way they'll come out the same, the WB depends on the source of light reflected off the cards, and not what the card is made off (Grey = White = Neutral).
-> You can store a picture of each light source (or studio) and use them later as reference during the WB process. :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 3:50 PM   #23

My experience with Studio strobe is now that you can get by without using a meter.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I currently use two Alien Bee 800's, Joesauction wireless triggers, and a Sekonic L358.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Where the meter helps me is when I only have one or two chances to get the shot right the first time. Espeacially group shots because it is so hard to get the people together.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I really needed the meter when I first started using strobes, but now I can get pretty good shots from taking one picture and looking at histogram.

What is difficult is when you have both light and dark colors in the same picture.
Attached Images

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 9:13 PM   #24
NHL

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
My experience with Studio strobe is now that you can get by without using a meter.
It's all in the experience after a while you can actually 'feel' or gauge the effects of your lights too even before taking a single picture!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote